• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mesh Banner Causing Head Strikes

GamecockGrafx

Using a HP Latex 365 and Duratex Mesh banner with liner. Just recently, whenever I use this media, my print head ends up going under the media/liner and causes a hard head strike. At first I thought it was old media but opened a new roll today and after about 18 feet - BAM! Shut the machine down and looks like I'll be out of another roll.

Anyone ever have these issues? I'm using the platen cover - do I need to use/try ink catcher without the liner? Have a customer who wants me to give an estimate for a 5' tall and 613 foot long baseball windscreen, but apt to quote unless I know I can print this media.

Thanks!

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
I am wrapping up running 30 rolls of the duratex 8oz mesh today and have not had that issue, plenty of HP issues though. Are you running the Grimco supplied profile? I usually get the linerless mesh, but they are out until December.

GamecockGrafx

I am wrapping up running 30 rolls of the duratex 8oz mesh today and have not had that issue, plenty of HP issues though. Are you running the Grimco supplied profile? I usually get the linerless mesh, but they are out until December.
Yes, I am using the Grimco profile. I've ran over 1000 feet the past several months - this just recently started. The last time it did, HP sent a service tech to replace some damaged parts; cleaned/vacuumed the ports, etc. The first time it happened I thought it may be from roll being older and backing just peeling off causing the issue. This time, the roll was brand new, unwrapped that day and same results. Strange to me. You mentioned that you normally use linerless mesh - I've never used the ink collectors - is it extremely messy?

greysquirrel

its not messy that's what they are for. what are your profile settings? I will say most problems with mesh is related to saturation and dry time. you need to reduce both. If the liner is separating in the heater, you can install the fabric pad typically used for two sided printing.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
My ink collectors are very saturated because I have been using a regular banner profile one that is a 10 pass, I have started running mesh at 6 pass with the linered stuff I have. I don't think many people use the ink collectors on the 360/365 because it hasn't been easy getting replacements and Grimco let the linerless 63" runout. On the 10ft plus latex machines I think it is more common to run linerless.

GamecockGrafx

its not messy that's what they are for. what are your profile settings? I will say most problems with mesh is related to saturation and dry time. you need to reduce both. If the liner is separating in the heater, you can install the fabric pad typically used for two sided printing.
I hope what I'm showing is what you're referring to as my profile settings. If not, please advise....AND THANK YOU.

8 passes
225 temp
100% sat
0 straightness opt
12% latex optimize level
25 vacuum
0 advance factor
0 interpass delay offset
185 printing airflow pressure
15 input tension

GamecockGrafx

Well, another try and another crash. Used the 15 vacuum and 241 temp at 6 passes. GRIMCO Tech support tells me my platen is dirty and has clogged vacuum holes. I told them "nice try" but the HP Tech person was just at this machine two weeks ago and we cleaned everything - ports, holes, etc.

Matthew Kissane

We had some head strikes with that Duratex material too. Another owner suggested weights, or running the material tight on the uptake roll from the start. We use magnets to pull the material and it has not had a strike in a while.

somcalmetim

I have a Roland VG2 and dont print mesh banner... but I did have problems with 18oz blockout banner hitting the head...
It would start well but as the banner heated on the print heater area it would expand and gather at the outside wheels and form a tunnel near the edges...the tunnel would eventually pucker high enough to touch the head...
Solved problem by turning the heat way down so it didnt puff up...I have never used mesh banner but since I turned the heat down I have not had any head hits when banner printing...
might want to try less heat and speed...

greysquirrel

I hope what I'm showing is what you're referring to as my profile settings. If not, please advise....AND THANK YOU.

8 passes
225 temp
100% sat
0 straightness opt
12% latex optimize level
25 vacuum
0 advance factor
0 interpass delay offset
185 printing airflow pressure
15 input tension
So 225 degrees is going to be too hot which means you will need to reduce saturation to 100. Try to get temp 214-215