• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mesh Banner Recommendations for Latex 360

jawdavis

I am an experienced Latex 360 user who is having trouble finding a compatible mesh with this printer. I used a few different mesh banners with the L25500 and with an older Roland XC-540 but the temp/vacuum is wreaking havoc on the "Key Banner Mesh" I bought from Grimco on the newest generation of Latex. I've tried 4 different pass modes, a variety of heat/vacuum/feed settings and I just can't keep it from headcrashing and jamming every time. I'm in a time crunch and need to order something that I know will work with the L360 ASAP. Does anyone have good suggestions?

Thanks.

derekw13029

Are you using the take up reel before you start the print? That might help keep the material down flat on the platen, albeit at the expense of some material.

jawdavis

Oh yes, definitely using the take up reel. I'm using the Grimco "certified" profile for this material, the heat is only at 160 degrees F and the banner is bunching up in the curing area before it exits the printer. Eventually this leads to buckling in the platen area, then a head crash.

Oh yes, definitely using the take up reel. I'm using the Grimco "certified" profile for this material, the heat is only at 160 degrees F and the banner is bunching up in the curing area before it exits the printer. Eventually this leads to buckling in the platen area, then a head crash.

Are you using the platen covers that get inserted into the curing unit? Some banner PVC medias get very soft when going through the curing unit, and will then stick to the grates, which results in head strikes. The platen covers will keep this from happening. They ship with newer 360/ 370s, and are available at no cost from HP for units that did not ship with them in the box.

jawdavis

Wow, I've never even heard of these. I have 2 of the probably the first batch of 360's put into service, from May 2014-ish. This is pretty much exactly what's happening with this machine. I will get in touch with HP regarding this, however, in the near term are there any other solutions like alternative medias that work well or do I need to outsource this job to get it done?

Thanks for the suggestion.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Wow, I've never even heard of these. I have 2 of the probably the first batch of 360's put into service, from May 2014-ish. This is pretty much exactly what's happening with this machine. I will get in touch with HP regarding this, however, in the near term are there any other solutions like alternative medias that work well or do I need to outsource this job to get it done?

Thanks for the suggestion.

If any of your vendors carry Ultraflexx then you should try the Strip Mesh with Liner. (Ideally you really need to have that other platen)

ProColorGraphics

Make sure you have the latest platen covers. My 360 is a year old and I was having the same issues!! I called Grimco's tech support and they let me know that HP came out with an updated version on them. The new ones have a bracket that goes all of the way across where they hook on in the print area, are made of a different material and have a velcro you attach to the bottom of the platen where the media comes out of the heater. The new ones don't move and work great!! Once I got the news one, I didn't have any issues with the media sticking under the heater.

Just call HP tech support and tell them you need to new platen covers. They sent them to me no charge. Or have Grimco's tech support call with you, they did with me.

ProColorGraphics

The "old" style look like a large piece of felt and only have a couple of hooks where they attach in the platen area. The new ones have a solid metal bracket going all of the way across where they connect in the platen area. The material is also more of a teflon. And have the velcro on the backside like I mentioned.

WrapItUp66

What profile are you using for the HP 360 Latex with the UltraFlex Strip Mesh Pro LTX with liner? The same thing jsut happened to me, I watched it curl up in the curing unit and looked up at the platen area and crash! Luckily I was able to catch it in time but I used a seal mesh profile and it seemed to be working fine until it buckled.

I am attaching a picture of my platen protector. is this what you were talking about?
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3300.jpg
    IMG_3300.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,131
Last edited:
I had the same problems and it was a nightmare, Grimco didn't have the answer, are you still using the key banner after getting that new piece?
Are you working fine now? I gotta print a 390 ft banner on mesh and I have no idea what to do.

ProColorGraphics

Yes, that is the new style of platen protector. I think I just used a standard banner profile. I probably turned the heat down a little, but nothing crazy as far as changes.

ProColorGraphics

Thinking more, I probably watched it until it got down and attached to the take up. Once it was setup on there, I didn't have any issues.

Commando

What profile are you using for the HP 360 Latex with the UltraFlex Strip Mesh Pro LTX with liner? The same thing jsut happened to me, I watched it curl up in the curing unit and looked up at the platen area and crash! Luckily I was able to catch it in time but I used a seal mesh profile and it seemed to be working fine until it buckled.

I am attaching a picture of my platen protector. is this what you were talking about?
attachment.php

we have that and use brightline brand. Havent had any problems yet.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have been working with many different mfg's of mesh and I have been testing a lot on a non release liner version with no issues at all in the 360. I am going to be bringing in this material as the results were better than other mesh materials currently available. No attachments were needed except the ink collector trays.

mesh.jpg

perf.jpg

FrankW

One time had the same problem with mesh on a customers Latex 330 (not delivered with platen protectors). We have putted full water bottles in the loop of the media attached to the take-up, works fine :) .