• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help micro sprint wrap

MG32

Needing help. We have owned a printing company for about 8 months now. I've been getting hit up for vehicle wraps. I have a Roland 54" print cut. Long story short I have a local racer needing his Micro-sprint wrapped. Where do I find templates/designs for these kind of applications. I use CorelDraw for designing. Also need a Good inexpensive (62") laminator.
micro sprint 2.jpeg
micro sprint.jpeg

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
I’ve not seen any templates for these myself.

Take pictures and scale them in your design software. From there you can create your own template or just design on top of the images

zspace

Premium Subscriber
Needing help. We have owned a printing company for about 8 months now. I've been getting hit up for vehicle wraps. I have a Roland 54" print cut. Long story short I have a local racer needing his Micro-sprint wrapped. Where do I find templates/designs for these kind of applications. I use CorelDraw for designing. Also need a Good inexpensive (62") laminator. View attachment 138186 View attachment 138187

Ron is on target with using pictures to create your own template for a unique wrap like this one. We like to put a something on the vehicle to scale against like a yard stick or simply a piece of copy paper. This gives us a constant size reference for every side. Make sure the photos are taken straight on from a distance with space showing on all sides to get a flat image.

This wrap has some complex geometry on the hood that will create a lot of challenges. Make your design with plenty of bleed and good margins. Since you’re new to this area you may want to consider printing the background design by itself and add decals for the details that have critical placement. Finding out the vehicle curvature warps text or makes it trail off the vehicle can be an expensive learning experience.

We bought a Kala Mistral laminator about 8 months ago and love it. New around $10-12k. It’s easy to set up and runs full rolls straight and fast. There are less expensive ones out there but this is the one I have experience using. We laminate for a lot of nearby sign companies, you might be able to find a nearby company that will laminate for you out until you purchase one.

One piece of advice a salesman gave me about laminators 15 years ago..... buy the best you can afford because it could be the only one you ever buy. That one has lasted 15 years and still running.

2B

Yes, you will need to create and scale your own template.

Make sure you charge enough for this, there are plenty of curves/angles and the time needed to disassemble the frame for application

also, make sure that you test the surface adhesive.
When we have done wraps on these time of vehicles they have plastic surfaces that regular material will not stick to.

OhioSigns

schoolofracinggraphics.com has some templates, vector designs, number packs and some other stuff for creating racing wraps. Unfortunately, they do not appear to have a micro sprint template.

Jburns

Looks like it can be done in five - correction - six pieces. You can do what the Pro MX graphic guys do - lay down clear laminate, trace a 1/2 in inside all the edges - digitize and there is your template. Cut some cheap calendared vinyl and see how it fits up / make adjustments.

Also as mentioned above- if this is plastic or carbon fiber- use Convex or Substance vinyl for high energy surfaces.

crny1

Yes, you will need to create and scale your own template.

Make sure you charge enough for this, there are plenty of curves/angles and the time needed to disassemble the frame for application

also, make sure that you test the surface adhesive.
When we have done wraps on these time of vehicles they have plastic surfaces that regular material will not stick to.
And here lies the problem with these. Around us there are people doing them and mainly race cars only. They do them CHEAP........
My brother owns a midget and I quoted him a wrap. The local place that does race cars quoted him $550. I couldnt compete with that needing to either buy templates or make my own. Needless to say I dont wrap my own brothers car.

msenjur

Hello!

i think that hood cant be done in one peace. That bumb must be done seperate.

if customer is serious, and want 100% product, then you have to make templates by yourself. If not, than make some desing where joints wont be so visible, and then print some sheets and wrap that car.

for serious template:
I use pvc transfer paper. I "wrap" all the surface, that supposed to be wraped, then draw lines with marker. Then i lay transfer on some waste backing paper, put it in scanner, and draw lines in corel/illustrator. It is very helpful if you have roller scanner. Because if you take picture image isnt straight...

From there, you will know how to continue...

FactorDesign

And here lies the problem with these. Around us there are people doing them and mainly race cars only. They do them CHEAP........
My brother owns a midget and I quoted him a wrap. The local place that does race cars quoted him $550. I couldnt compete with that needing to either buy templates or make my own. Needless to say I dont wrap my own brothers car.

I worked at a shop where a custom race car builder had his warehouse directly behind us. It was impressive watching him turn metal tubing and flat aluminum into a car. We would make him numbers and some stripes for his own car, but any time anything got wrapped, another guy in town would do it, because he charged less than what it would cost us in material to do it. The guys that specialize in race wraps like this are using the cheapest materials they can find, and probably not even bothering with laminate. Every time the car owners would ask us for a quote, we'd be 4x the cost. They'd say they didn't care about laminate, and as long as you can't see the bubbles and creases at 100mph from 100ft away, they don't care about that either. It's just to make the cars look different from each other and to have a place to write their buddy's lawncare company name and phone number on the car so they can pay for tires. Most of the time the panels are going to get smashed the first time they race anyway.

I would never in a million years want to work in that kind of market. I'm too much of a perfectionist.

BUCKY

Racers will always spend whatever it takes to make a car go fast but they usually will not pay good money for the most important part of the car, and that is advertising for their sponsors.
$550 for a wrap on a midget isn't bad. Around us full bodied late models are printed and laminated for $550. For $700 you can get neon vinyl overlays on top of everything!!
No thanks.