• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Microsoft Private Folder

cOrKinSA

Not so much software rather then a forgotten feature.

Description:
This add-on to XP allows you to password protect a folder within your My Documents called. "My Private Folder" This is an excellent addition to Windows XP for those who share a common Windows profile.

Story:
Enterprise admins are complaining to Microsoft and rumor has it Microsoft pulled Microsoft Private Folder from their site.
Info taken from http://www.microsoftprivatefolder.com/ respectfully.

Download from Softpedia.

I found this very useful for keeping my finances and certain data from people that use my Computer.

Keep in mind a "Private folder" icon will be displayed on your desktop so some of you that have nosey spouses will hound you to let them look in there so no naughty pics!
That's what HeatSeek is for. (Because I don't want to be a pervert with a motive I will let you search for that one on your own on Softpedia).

GK

I am pretty sure Microsoft killed off this add-on back in 2006 which means if there is any security flaws/loopholes it hasn't been supported in a while. I think one of the main gripes with IT admins with this was there is no recovery method for this folder. If you forget the password, the data in that folder is done for. The protected folder also had issues with Backup Exec and Acronis because it refused access to that folder.