• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CG-100SRiii / FineCut Issue

I've had my CG-100SRiii for quite a few years now. I've always used Mimaki FineCut and I have it hooked up through USB. I was running FineCut 8. 2 weeks ago I went to cut a file and I got the error message stating, "Cannot find the communication port. Check whether the "Communication" of "Plotter / User Setup" is set up correctly. It directs me to the Plotter/User Setup. The plotter is not showing up under USB. If I close that box and try to cut something again, sometimes it will randomly work. Other times, it gives me the same error message.

I've tried a new USB cable and that didn't work. I then tried hooking it up through LAN and I was able to cut using LAN connection. I was using Corel Draw 2018/FineCut 8 and thought maybe I should try using Corel Draw 2020/FineCut 9 so I went through the hoops and installed FineCut 9 into Corel Draw 2020. I went back to using USB and it worked for a couple of days and now it is back to being fidgety.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've got another issue that popped up when I installed FineCut 9 into Corel Draw 2020. For some reason, I can not unlock the LAN option through Corel Draw 2020 and FineCut 9. It doesn't matter what I do, it won't let me select LAN. I can select Serial and USB though.

Bii Emmanuel

You should use a hi speed USB cable 2.0 for this case to avoid those errors.
Also check if the plotter chosen is correct from the set-up and check if the machine is in correct command.

rjssigns

Could have been an update that caused the issue. Updates create all kinds of unique issues with the printers in the lab. From communication errors to crashes in the middle of print to not being able to access the software etc...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Go to Mimaki's website and download the latest USB driver. They tend to update the driver and it conflicts with certain versions of FineCut until you update it.

Bretbyron

Go to Mimaki's website and download the latest USB driver. They tend to update the driver and it conflicts with certain versions of FineCut until you update it.

I am not seeing a USB Driver here:

Am I looking in the wrong place? TIA

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I am not seeing a USB Driver here:

Am I looking in the wrong place? TIA
Try this link. Mimaki's site gets sort of confusing because it switched between the US and Japanese servers so the same information can be in two different places.

dudeinthemoon

You can use any printer driver from their website it is generic for all their current products. Finecut9 contains latest driver too. But it most likely pc software issue and you shouldn’t use passive usb cable more than 3m. And it will be much easier to use LAN for it. Most mimaki cutters owners prefers LAN connection as much reliable instead of USB.

dudeinthemoon

You can download latest drivers here

Bretbyron

Try this link. Mimaki's site gets sort of confusing because it switched between the US and Japanese servers so the same information can be in two different places.

I'm still not seeing a specific USB Driver. Should I be updating all drivers?

Cutter was working 2 days ago through Corel w/ Finecut. Today "no response from plotter" when trying to cut. Checked port is functioning, rebooted everything, checked settings in Finecut, connection test failed. Debating on a restore point. All windows updated have been turned off for years.

Bretbyron

You can use any printer driver from their website it is generic for all their current products. Finecut9 contains latest driver too. But it most likely pc software issue and you shouldn’t use passive usb cable more than 3m. And it will be much easier to use LAN for it. Most mimaki cutters owners prefers LAN connection as much reliable instead of USB.
I have Finecut 8. Never had this problem in the 8+ years of running this setup.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'm still not seeing a specific USB Driver. Should I be updating all drivers?

Cutter was working 2 days ago through Corel w/ Finecut. Today "no response from plotter" when trying to cut. Checked port is functioning, rebooted everything, checked settings in Finecut, connection test failed. Debating on a restore point. All windows updated have been turned off for years.
I'm not sure what your setup is but you most likely will need the Mimaki Driver Version 5.5(64-Bit). It should be the second one down from the top.

It sounds like the plotter might be fried. If the port works but the plotter never responds, the USB port on the cutter itself or possibly the processor is bad. Try the new driver and see if it works but if it doesn't it might be an electrical problem.

Bretbyron

The main difference between finecut versions it’s compability with new Corel versions. If there is no need in Corel updates you don’t need finecut9 as well
I agree but if the USB got fried then it's possible that the lan will be too. Worth a shot!

I'm running windows 7 32bit and Corel 13. The computer acknowledges when the USB cord is plugged and unplugged from the cutter.

I feel it has something to do with the windows update. I restored to last week, but no go still.

Cutter itself is all systems go on its end.

Bretbyron

Installed this Driver:

Mimaki Driver Ver.5.5.0 (32bit)5.5.010/04/202164.51MB

Had the USB driver in it. Had to reset communications dialog in Finecut and we are back up and running!

Thank you so much for your time gentlemen. I don't know what I would have done without this forum for the past 8+ yrs or however long it's been.

I will definitely pick up a LAN cable next time i'm over in the city.

Thanks again!!!!!

dudeinthemoon

I agree but if the USB got fried then it's possible that the lan will be too. Worth a shot!
If your plugs are grounded you’ll never have those problems, and even if it’ll happen it is not a big deal to replace usb controller on mimaki boards, except ujf3042fx or hg, they’re used ICs with usb controller integrated into CPU chip on the printer boards, instead of separate USB IC on epl2/3 etc. boards, but it’s solvable too