• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki cg-160 cut is off. Pic on post. Thx.

iCantFeelMyLegs

Hello,

I've got a new setup than what I'm used to. I've used mutoh and roland printers, graphtec cutters, flexi, versacamm etc. We have just purchased a HP 260 and a Mimaki cg-160. Issue is with print and cut. IMG_0540[1].jpg I took an ink pen to some of the cuts so it may be easier to see them in the picture. IMG_0540[1].jpg

I'm sending the test contour cut sample from the onyx folder from cutserver.

My Process:

Print
Load material in cutter.
Local mode: jog to where the knife is in the center of the type 2 mark.
Enter to find the new origin
Press remote and send from cutserver.
It goes to all 4 registration marks and begins cutting.

It gets off. Check out picture.

I've played around with manually finding the marks with no luck. Hope someone can shed some light. I also have finecut for illustrator if
that's better. New programs and new equipment yipee! :banghead: Thanks.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I run a Mutoh printer and CG-160 cutter. Only thing I can think of is the registration marks are facing the opposite direction from the way ours end up (ours look like a vertically inverted L).
Otherwise, I think the software is goofing something up.

iCantFeelMyLegs

I run a Mutoh printer and CG-160 cutter. Only thing I can think of is the registration marks are facing the opposite direction from the way ours end up (ours look like a vertically inverted L).
Otherwise, I think the software is goofing something up.

I wouldn't think the type of registration marks would make a difference, but I'll try changing them. Thank you for the reply.

anthony smith

You may have checked but i run a cg 130 fx and had an issue once only to discover the pressure bars on back were not on firmest setting and staggered

iCantFeelMyLegs

You may have checked but i run a cg 130 fx and had an issue once only to discover the pressure bars on back were not on firmest setting and staggered

Thanks Anthony. I will try that as well. I do currently have them on the lowest setting. I have cut this same piece several times and the cut is going pretty much to the same spot every time. So unsure if that is the reason, but i'm sure it will help for the future. Thanks!

iCantFeelMyLegs

I would use finecut works much better then Onyx in my opinion.

yea i'll look more into finecut. Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious to see if there will be a noticeable change in color using finecut compared to onyx. For example I'm about to print out a wrap using onyx, but it has a contour cut decal on it as well. So sending the decal through finecut to print may yield different results. Or I guess you setup the registration
marks in finecut, print in onyx, then contour cut with finecut. That way it wouldn't matter. I'll see how finecut responds.

yea i'll look more into finecut. Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious to see if there will be a noticeable change in color using finecut compared to onyx. For example I'm about to print out a wrap using onyx, but it has a contour cut decal on it as well. So sending the decal through finecut to print may yield different results. Or I guess you setup the registration
marks in finecut, print in onyx, then contour cut with finecut. That way it wouldn't matter. I'll see how finecut responds.

FineCut is not a RIP, and you can't send the print through it. The print would still be sent through the RIP (Onyx) but the cut job could be routed through the FineCut plug-in rather than Onyx Cut-Server.

iCantFeelMyLegs

Alright I've setup finecut. I've printed in onyx. Have the mimaki cg 160 on mark detect 1mm. I load the sheet and it finds the mark automatically, after I trimmed it.

Loading in rear leaf mode.
Finds the mark.
I hit Remote
Open plot dialog in finecut.
Hit detect registration, it does nothing. leaf mode.
click plot button and it cuts like in this picture.

So im assuming it's not detecting the marks perfectly. Even though the machine is saying that it is detecting the communication with the program is different some way. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_0541[1].jpg (ps thats the bottom left mark, i am reading the bottom right. and its upside down..!$#@)

GraphxGirl

Not to sound rude, but how are you aligning your print when loading your prints? We have two of those cutters here and only have problems with runs that are longer than about 96".

iCantFeelMyLegs

Not to sound rude, but how are you aligning your print when loading your prints? We have two of those cutters here and only have problems with runs that are longer than about 96".

Not rude at all. I'm here for help. I'm lining the edge of the media to the plastic ridges. Looking at both the front and the back. While it's feeding it appears really straight. Thank you. I'm hoping to find an answer asap. I don't want to hand cut a decal tomorrow :Big Laugh

GraphxGirl

Try aligning your crop marks to the metal trim/cut bar. Than you can check to see if it is tracking straight when you load it.

OTE=iCantFeelMyLegs;1181605]Not rude at all. I'm here for help. I'm lining the edge of the media to the plastic ridges. Looking at both the front and the back. While it's feeding it appears really straight. Thank you. I'm hoping to find an answer asap. I don't want to hand cut a decal tomorrow :Big Laugh[/QUOTE]

Commando

If your media is being cut off the printer strait, loaded strait and all 4 registration marks are being read, I would say you might wanna try the 400mm square adjustment. It is in my mimaki book on page 3.17 - 3.22. If that doesn't help try the adjustments on page 3.36 - 3.49 (I think)..
It cantake a while but it will fix it and its not hard.. I had to do it after owning my plotter for a month and a half

iCantFeelMyLegs

If your media is being cut off the printer strait, loaded strait and all 4 registration marks are being read, I would say you might wanna try the 400mm square adjustment. It is in my mimaki book on page 3.17 - 3.22. If that doesn't help try the adjustments on page 3.36 - 3.49 (I think)..
It cantake a while but it will fix it and its not hard.. I had to do it after owning my plotter for a month and a half

Now when I was sending it with onyx cut server it was reading all 4 registration marks. When I send it with finecut it only reads 1. The one it automatically reads when the material is loaded. I will look into the adjustment. Thank you for your feedback.

Commando

Now when I was sending it with onyx cut server it was reading all 4 registration marks. When I send it with finecut it only reads 1. The one it automatically reads when the material is loaded. I will look into the adjustment. Thank you for your feedback.

It can be set up to read the lower right or the bottom 2 and maybe 3? IDK It can all be just be setup differently. I put mine on TP1 after my 400mm adjustment and if im not cutting a print job I just hit enter and its ready to roll the material.

iCantFeelMyLegs

I figured it out. Something simple. Being my first mimaki I wasn't pressing the End button 2-3 times to take it into TP1 mode. So for anyone who reads this in the future. Load the material. I have mark detect on. once it doesn't find the mark automatically hit the end button 2-3 times (slowly). It will go to TP1 mode. Point the laser in the square of your registration mark using the jog mode and hit enter. it will try and read the registration mark. if it doesn't you need to change your mark detect setting for size mm. Once it finds it the knife will rest in the corner of the mark. Hit remote. Go to finecut and click register mark tab > detect mark. leave that on and then hit the plot button. it'll take off and read your marks and cut.

Thank you all for the responses. I've used 3-4 different cutters but if you don't know the basics like that feature on the mimaki stuff happens.