• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CJV not printing

Niklarse0073

Hi - I have a mimaki CJV30-100,

Basically I was losing print on Cyan and Light Cyan, so attempted to clean it with the syringe, cleaning fluid whilst in the machine - I know stupid rush job. Basically the pipe popped off and some fluid went in the ribbon cable, and it had a little smoke / short.

Oh well - print head on its way out anyway - so I bought a new one, fitted. No ink colours, not pulling ink through, read a few posts on here and came to the conclusion it was electrical.

Machine won't draw ink, checked all the usual capping (new), new dampers, draws ink through the capping station, new capping pump etc, little fuse on main board OK. Machine wont do an ink fill, on the new head. So I replaced the Ink slider board, after testing the main board and could not see a fault / either on the old slider or the main board.

Still no joy on getting it to print. I am starting to think it could be the main board. So I am about to strip and send to America to fix (i'm in the UK). Before I do this any ideas?

Before I do though, has anyone had this problem, how was it fixed and how likely am I to have destroyed the new head and slider board if the main board is broke.

Red light on the main board / machine functions apart from spitting ink, no errors. Goes through the motions but no ink passing through the head.

Is there a simple fix on the Main board?

Last edited:

Neil

When you do a cleaning, does ink come through the head into the capping station?
Can you do a test print? Even if nothing comes out of the head, does it actually do the procedure?
Likewise, can you send a file to print and the machine works as usual?

Niklarse0073

Yes machine goes through the motions test prints, printing, head cap is fine as I can draw ink through the capping pump tubes and this causes sucktion on all of my dampers. Just does not drop ink... acts normal, cuts, pretends to print apart from no ink.

Neil

So, when you had your short, I presume then the old head didn't print either after that.
As in, the same scenario as you have now with the new head in?

I would say it sounds like the main board.
I'm speaking from experience - I've blown and fixed my mainboard twice now (CJV30-130).

The simpler fix is to send it to Kent at Macmedia for diagnosis and repair.
The cheaper option is to learn how to diagnose and fix it yourself, but will take hours and is not for the faint-hearted...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's probably the F13 fuse on the main board. It's user replaceable which makes things so much easier. The fuse is a 375mA 125V quick blow fuse. I'm not sure of a supplier in Europe but I'm sure you can find one online. We have them on our site if you feel like going international for a fuse the size of a couple grains of rice!

Niklarse0073

Yes neil. I think thats my option, sendind the main board to new york. How long did it take to get yours back?

Is that the small square fuse near the head ribbon cables? If so it is ok.... without it throws up machine errors...

Niklarse0073

Yes neil. I think thats my option, sendind the main board to new york. How long did it take to get yours back?

Is that the small square fuse near the head ribbon cables? If so it is ok.... without it throws up machine errors...
Incidentally Neil how can I test where it is blown? And what did you blow? Would the test outlined in the service manual, testing circuits to?? From the main board to the slider show errors. Going to test these tomorrow. I'm quite handy, but on repairs are not my strong point.

Neil

We fixed it ourselves - both times was the same capacitors (or transistors?) that blew. My brother is pretty good a diagnosing and fixing these things.
If you have the service manual, it shows how to test the test points on the mainboard. If you get low resistance readings on a couple of TP's, then there's your problem.

We ordered the parts from Sign in China, but Vander would give you better service no doubt.
They are 2 capacitors or resistors or transistors - I'm not sure - but the part no's are C4550 and A1742.
They're only a few bucks each, so grab a few spares.

How he found the blown ones, I'm not sure.
I've attached a pic showing roughly where they are located.
We just swapped out the 2 caps and put it back in.
Needless to say, be super careful doing this all, take photo's, discharge voltage, double check everything, read a lot, take lots of notes along the way.

Attachments

• Mimaki Mainboard capacitor fix.jpg
    Mimaki Mainboard capacitor fix.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 560
  • Mimaki Mainboard capacitor.jpg
    Mimaki Mainboard capacitor.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 457

Neil

And get new ribbon cables to replace the ones from slider board to head.
And be careful when plugging them in, they are hard to align and easily damaged, throwing up other errors just for fun.

Niklarse0073

Hey Neil, Thanks for this, its a good start. I like the idea of having a look - and testing those points. Yes I put in new ribbon cables, last time. Knowing my luck they might be the problem!

Thanks again NIK

Neil

I doubt it. Both times for us the slider board and printhead were fine, just those 2 caps blew.

One time when we blew the mainboard,I was installing a head decoder card and we plugged the ribbon cable in upside down!

Another time I blame static or something, we were running a lot of banner material through and one channel went out completely.
After ruling out plumbing, we suspected electrical and found it was again those 2 caps (but different location/channel on the board)

Niklarse0073

Great (crossed fingers) - I havent whipped the PCB out yet - Christmas and lots of cut jobs, to be honest I just use it for 90% cutting!

OK - on the back of the board, was it obvious which caps had blown? Were there black marks? I have found a PCB repairer in Sheffield and was thinking it will be down for less time if I can take it there and point out the area to look at!

Thanks

NIK