• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mimaki CJV150 Capping Issue

Mathew Atkin

Hi Everyone,

Just recently our Mimaki CJV150 has not been capping properly. We noticed this last weekend as we had some missing nozzles when we arrived in the office Monday morning. At first I didn't think much of it and just did the usually procedure we do to get them back. None of them come back after a few cleans and I noticed the wiper and the head under carriage didn't have much ink on them. The cap top had been in a year so I decided to replace it assuming it would more than likely be this not sealing properly.

When I come to replace the cap top I noticed the machine is not parking the head properly on the cap top. There is a latch towards the back of the head which can be pressed down to release the head to allow access to the cap top if the machine is powered off. I could literally slide it away from the cap when the machine was powered down. If I push the head fully to the right it locks in and seals the head however when the machine powers up to clean it does not return fully back leaving a gap between the cap top and head.

Looking at the service manual for the machine there is some settings within the service mode however I was wondering if anyone had advice regarding this? Personally I don't think it has ever been locking since installed I believe the issue has only started to show problems based on usual wear and tear around the cap top and lower spring. We do most servicing on the machine as there isn't anyone local to us so hopefully we can get this sorted. I can confirm the latch is working correctly as I can see it flicking up and down its just missing the catch on the head due to it not going far enough back.

I have added photos so you can see the area I am referring too.

Thank You

Attachments

• IMG_6650-(1).jpg
    IMG_6650-(1).jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 946

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There's a photo interrupt sensor on the right side of the machine on top of the Y rail. That sensor is the Y-origin sensor and tells the machine it's back at the capping position. If that's broken or the flag on the carriage that trips the sensor is bent out of place, it can trick the machine into thinking it's in the proper position.

Other than that the only thing I can think of is running the capping position adjustments. It's something that should be done at install.

Mathew Atkin

Hmm its a bit of a strange one as the machine is operating fine with no errors. With the Capping Position Adjustment does that adjust the position of the capping station only? Its as if the head needs to be pulled further to the right by the motor.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Hmm its a bit of a strange one as the machine is operating fine with no errors. With the Capping Position Adjustment does that adjust the position of the capping station only? Its as if the head needs to be pulled further to the right by the motor.

If the Y-origin sensor is in working condition but the flag on the head carriage is bent out of position, you wouldn't get an error. It would just not reach the Y origin properly and do what your printer is doing.

The capping position adjustment doesn't adjust the position of the capping station believe it or not. It actually adjusts how far the head needs to travel to be fully capped. If it's too far to the left, it can cause the hook to not latch.

Mathew Atkin

Spot on I will check the sensors and re perform a capping station adjust following the service manual. It sound a lot like its related to the capping sensor adjust but I will check both. If the flag is bent its more than likely been set up properly during install but if its not then the company who installed it did not follow the proper adjustment guide.

Thanks for all your help I will let you know how I get on. I often search up signs 101 if I have any issues and I often find posts that have been answered by you. You defiantly know your stuff.

Thanks Again

Mathew Atkin

If the Y-origin sensor is in working condition but the flag on the head carriage is bent out of position, you wouldn't get an error. It would just not reach the Y origin properly and do what your printer is doing.

The capping position adjustment doesn't adjust the position of the capping station believe it or not. It actually adjusts how far the head needs to travel to be fully capped. If it's too far to the left, it can cause the hook to not latch.

I checked the sensor and flag which was fine so I performed a capping station adjust which solved this issue. I have a slight concern though, Is there anything that could cause this to happen or would you say the tech who installed it hasn't performed it? It wasn't miles of and was sealing until recently so there's a high chance I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I checked the sensor and flag which was fine so I performed a capping station adjust which solved this issue. I have a slight concern though, Is there anything that could cause this to happen or would you say the tech who installed it hasn't performed it? It wasn't miles of and was sealing until recently so there's a high chance I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

These things get thrown out of whack over time which is why there is an adjustment in the first place. I'm willing to bet it was just simple wear and tear.

PJ758

My capping head was bad, had it change, also change my pump, had it soaked over night but not much has changed should i have it soak longer ?

Attachments

• IMG_20210722_081723.jpg
    IMG_20210722_081723.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 439

Mathew Atkin

On our machine I would usually run a hard clean after letting it soak as this will allow the pump to pull some fresh ink through and the machine will wipe the head. Have you replaced the dampers? The reason ours was clogging was because of the cap adjustment which we sorted using the help in this thread plus the service manual?