• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CJV150 Colors Inaccurate

aboom

Hi, I have a Mimaki CJV150-130 8 Color CMYKLmLcLkO. I am attempting to reprint a file, and the colors are just a little off. My test print looks fine. I have tried to make a new file and move the design over to that (this seems to rectify any issues potentially being caused by Illustrator). I have tried to use a different profile (I am using Rasterlink 6).

The color I am trying to print a yellow that I made to replicate a fluorescent yellow. It is a color I have printed multiple times and I have never had an issue until now. But beyond that the red color in one the logos looks faded - it does not have a full red color that it should.

Normally when I run into quirky issues like this its something with Illustrator, but that does not seem to be the case here. I have tried everything I can think of, and I have not made any changes to any settings in the mean time.

Has anyone else come across a similar issue like this?

Thanks!

aboom

I forgot to mention the yellow color I am looking for is turning out more of a green than yellow.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Your nozzle check looks fine but are you seeing anything that would indicate that the color starts printing ok but then fades out? That could be a damper issue. Also, is the room the printer's in climate controlled? Big changes in environment can affect color such as big spikes in humidity or heat.

You might try a few different profiles and see if another one does a better job. You could also use the color replacement tool in Rasterlink to override the profile and give your own CMYK values. At the end of the day, printers do just slowly move away from the original colors which is what custom profiles and linearization is for.

aboom

The print is consistent. I have the printer in my house which is usually around 65*-75*F throughout the seasons.

I have tried a few different profiles to no avail. Any profile that you would recommend? I am using Substance X1 media. I had been using a Mimaki profile since purchasing the printer in 2019. The other profile I tried was for Arlon DPF8200 that I obtained from Mimakis website.

Its kind of hard for me to write this off as a "normal characteristic over time".

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The print is consistent. I have the printer in my house which is usually around 65*-75*F throughout the seasons.

I have tried a few different profiles to no avail. Any profile that you would recommend? I am using Substance X1 media. I had been using a Mimaki profile since purchasing the printer in 2019. The other profile I tried was for Arlon DPF8200 that I obtained from Mimakis website.

Its kind of hard for me to write this off as a "normal characteristic over time".
Post some pictures. Maybe it's more extreme than I'm imagining.

aboom

The first photo with half of the "City" logo is an old print, which is what I think is correct. (Laminated)

The second photo with the "Prism" logo is what I am getting now. (Not laminated)

I printed several times with different profiles - also with color matching on and off, and I think its starting to look better. I am going to use a different profile all together and just tweak my colors in Illustrator a bit for now.

Honestly, I have not really been using the printer much in the last 6 months at least. I had been busy with traveling for work and this is just a thing I do on the side.

I am probably nitpicking the difference in colors, but I want everything to look that way it is supposed to. :)

Screenshot_20220719-133617_Instagram.jpg

20220720_113002.jpg

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I am probably nitpicking the difference in colors, but I want everything to look that way it is supposed to. :)
It's our curse as sign makers. We know what it should look like, and when it's off, but half the time the customer doesn't even notice!

If the machine sat for 6 months, the ink might need to be agitated. I'd give your cartridges a little shake and run a few cleanings. It could also be environment changes as well. Changes in temperature and humidity will affect color.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I dont understand.

People will waste time tweaking the final file to get the colour output on their printer, but don't do basic colour management.
I.e hire someone to profile your machine or buy a spectro and do it yourself.

once your media is profiled, you'll never run into issues like that. no need to tweak files (sometimes you might if you're hitting spot colours) but 90% of the time they come out so close that you wont need to.

aboom

It's our curse as sign makers. We know what it should look like, and when it's off, but half the time the customer doesn't even notice!

If the machine sat for 6 months, the ink might need to be agitated. I'd give your cartridges a little shake and run a few cleanings. It could also be environment changes as well. Changes in temperature and humidity will affect color.

Thank you for the help. I will try a head soak as well. Otherwise, I am going to continue printing with it and see what happens.

aboom

I dont understand.

People will waste time tweaking the final file to get the colour output on their printer, but don't do basic colour management.
I.e hire someone to profile your machine or buy a spectro and do it yourself.

once your media is profiled, you'll never run into issues like that. no need to tweak files (sometimes you might if you're hitting spot colours) but 90% of the time they come out so close that you wont need to.

I'm still a rookie. No one has taught me how to do this stuff. I am solely relying on my own research, and trial and error. I have not come across this issue before, so I am learning.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I'm still a rookie. No one has taught me how to do this stuff. I am solely relying on my own research, and trial and error. I have not come across this issue before, so I am learning.
I’ve been in your shoes. I know what that’s like.

Leaving real colour management is your next step.
As mentioned above.
You can pay someone to do it for you and you’ll learn off them.
Or buy the equipment to do it yourself and learn yourself.

When I got into colour management, I first paid someone and they taught me quite a bit. I’ve valued every bit of knowledge from him.

Once your printer is colour managed. You’ll find that you won’t be tweaking at nearly as much.