• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CJV30 Strange Problem (Overspray / Blur)

thetomsid1

I have a Mimaki CJV30 and just recently it has developed a small strange problem. Attached are some pictures.

Basically when I print black, there is a cyan overspray. This only happens on black and horizontally, see "L" shape mark to understand what I mean by horizontally.

This has been happening for a couple of weeks now, so every time before I print I have had to do a nozzle wash and a manual clean (with a swab on the head).
This seems to resolve the problem temporary, but the next day when I need to print and if I don't do the cleaning, the problem is back.

Any ideas what this could be?

IMG_8734.jpg

IMG_8733.jpg

AKwrapguy

So when I had this issue with my JV3 it's could be a few issues. One I would look at it being a bad head but I thought that the black and magenta shared a head so than would mean that cyan/yellow might be going bad and needs to be replaced.

Things i would try first:
Daily cleaning of the heads and capping station (do not clean the actual print head but just the 4 sides)
print head alignment
Print head wash cycle as needed.

You should do a print head test to and see what it looks like. This will give you a better idea if the heads going bad or not.

thetomsid1

So when I had this issue with my JV3 it's could be a few issues. One I would look at it being a bad head but I thought that the black and magenta shared a head so than would mean that cyan/yellow might be going bad and needs to be replaced.

Things i would try first:
Daily cleaning of the heads and capping station (do not clean the actual print head but just the 4 sides)
print head alignment
Print head wash cycle as needed.

You should do a print head test to and see what it looks like. This will give you a better idea if the heads going bad or not.

Attached is a picture of the print test.
I do these daily. Just 1 small block of cyan and magenta is missing, this has been like this ever since I can remember, but the overspray problem has just started recently. Could it have something to do with the cold weather?
Or I have read do you think it could need a new capping unit, I haven't changed this part (it's been 2 years)?

IMG_8748.jpg

AKwrapguy

Do you clean the capping unit? When operating mine, I found that daily cleaning of the heads and capping unit which included flushing the capping unit would fix most print issues problems. If your heads look good it might be an alignment issue.

gordm

i had a similar issues when i had the printhead set on thick. When I
set it back to thin the problem was resolved

printhog

2 years on capping station? not familiar with mimaki but on rolands theyre a consumable.. every 6 months.. would you expect your car to last on a two year old oil filter?

AKwrapguy

Sebb, your look like it's a head strike issue, or a build up of ink/debris.

Printhog- the mimaki's do not have a disposable capping station... they just need to be maintained and are usually issue free.

OmegaAdv

Hello,

I have also issue about cyan. My printer is JV3 160SP - perfect cyan on test print. Some times when I print something where there is a spot color cyan 100%(+other color combination doesnt matter) there is a overspray 3-4 times more than your pictures but at other part of print area everything is ok. Only in spot color, at vector image colors. That it make it on 720x720, I stop re rip it on 540x320 and everything fine. I can't find logic. Some times don't have it at all. Cleaning don't help. Yes it is old mashine but I love it.

97GTB

Printhog- the mimaki's do not have a disposable capping station... they just need to be maintained and are usually issue free.

The cap on any printer is a consumable, rubber always warps. DX5 style and up caps 6-12 months SS21/High solvent, 12-18 months ES3/Low solvent/Water based, Mimaki's take all of 5 minutes to change. 80% of issues I see are worn caps.