• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki Half Cut Feature

gplough

Anyone use their Mimaki (I'm using CG-130 FXII) for half cutting and use it regularly? I'm looking for some tips on getting is dialed in.

Do you stick to pretty simple shapes or are you comfortable cutting whatever?

GB2

Old Member
Anyone use their Mimaki (I'm using CG-130 FXII) for half cutting and use it regularly? I'm looking for some tips on getting is dialed in.

Do you stick to pretty simple shapes or are you comfortable cutting whatever?
I have the same plotter and I use the Half-Cut almost daily. I use it primarily for rounded corner rectangles but I'd do any other shape no problem. I'm not in front of it at the moment and I don't remember the exact settings but depending on the material being cut, I'm using it at a pressure of about 250 with a blade that it fairly well extended. It's a delicate trial and error balance of pressure usually to get it right with whatever material you are cutting. If the cuts are ragged or zig-zagged then you have either a dull blade, too much pressure, and/or incorrect blade extension. If you aren't cutting through well enough then it's probably too little pressure or not enough blade extension. The basic settings of the Half-Cut should not change.

Last edited:

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We use that one too. On simple rounds/ovals nothing different. We try to stick to rounded corners on squares/rectangles. On complex shapes we'll first do a regular "Non-half cut" then have an offset plot line for the half cut. We then pull that little bit off. Decals come out clean but the backer may get a little snag here and there.