• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV150-160 Ink reset

JTpro

I bought this printer new in April and as much as I'm impressed with the quality of the 8 color system and I'm disappointed with the ink consumption / usage of the printer to rasterlink. On three separate occasions I've had 30% or more of ink left and then it goes to zero before the job was complete. The job should have only taken 11% of the cartridge, rasterlink showed 30%.... job started printing and before the job was complete it "ran" out of ink... cartridge still has plenty of ink in it... The cartridge is FAR from being empty. I've taken apart the cartridge and ink there is a 20-30% ink left in the bag by weight some of them go to less than 10%, but recently there has been more ink being left in the cartridge. I do the daily maintenance as described by Mimaki thinking perhaps the pumps aren't getting the correct seal and communicating with the printer giving it the wrong information for the amount of ink left. It does seem to drop in percentage when I'm doing large jobs in excess of 150 sq. ft. This is becoming a more common job that I have the runs more than 700 sq. ft. at a time.

Anyone know of way to override the ink chip or be able to use an expired ink cartridge. I have one that is expired.

OR

Is there a way for the printer to control the ink percentage on the printer? I know rasterlink can't take into account the amount of ink used during auto cleaning, but it can for sure know the amount of ink usage by the prints sent.

getcustomized

To use expired inks you can take the battery out of the motherboard for 5 mins and put it back in. It will reset the date to the time the printer was manufactured enabling you to use expired inks. I just recently did it with my JV400LX and it reset the date to March of 2014.

As for the ink chip level I'm not sure about. However I did read in my JV400LX operations manual that newer firmware versions allow you to actually raise the percentage of ink in the cartridge via Rasterlink(or the display control buttons on your printer). Check your operations manual.

Ditchmiester

Does pulling out the battery work on all Mimaki's i've got a UJF-6042 and i have some expired ink as well. Does that do anything to the warranty on the machine too?

getcustomized

Does pulling out the battery work on all Mimaki's i've got a UJF-6042 and i have some expired ink as well. Does that do anything to the warranty on the machine too?

I would assume pulling the battery works on all Mimaki's. As for the warranty it would be become void if they found out.

Be careful with expired inks they can harden up with time and clog the head requiring replacement(especially Latex inks). Solvent inks not so much unless its white or metallic. I'm no expert though. But as for my latex inks after a couple of months sitting in waste tank it starts to harden and is very lumpy when I pour it out(or just one large clump). Never really saw that with my solvent inks. As for UV inks, not too sure how they hold up after expiration but from what I've read you must take caution.

Brink

Ink Cartridge date/fill BS

Have you seen Rui Costa's ink control board? It allows you to manually set the date and ink levels for Mimaki printers.

Here is a video.

[video=youtube;j0OVXGeAyek]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0OVXGeAyek[/video]

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Using any kind of device or software to trick the machine into using expired ink does void the warranty. Weigh the pros and cons of that before you try to save a few bucks.

cryptod

Hello,
I was wondering the same thing this morning and i stumbled on your post. My inks expired today and i had jobs to finish on my CJV-300 with SS21 (same as yours but with two heads). So i took the battery out from the motherboard, put it back after 5 minutes, screwed back everything together and when i started the printer again, the date was reset to the production date of the printer. And you don't lose any of your settings which is nice.

Hope this helps.

DonCorleone

Hello. We use the company below, they sell mimaki chips with 100% ink level and expiration is + 2years.
This allows us to use the large amount of ink that remains once our chips run out, which had saved us tons of money on ink, and it does not affect the warranty since it’s simply a chip replacement.

7_nebo_7

There are new Mimaki chip reseter avalible it able to reset LUS170, LUS120, LUS175, BS4 and all other new ink types from all Mimaki printers.
Check this MikaChipV2.0