• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV3 SP opinions

503WRAPS

I appreciate your reply and explanation. I am a newb to large format printing so your assumption is correct. What software are you using with your jv3 and how do you like it?

Letterbox Mike

i'd say a jv3sp bought used in decent condition is worth about $4000 (maybe $5k). they are at an extreme disadvantage to a jv33 because of support and the heads are too expensive. i'm sick to my stomach to think that a jv33 can get a new head (replacing all 8 channels for $800) for cheap while a jv3 sp would cost $2800 for four new heads to do the same and need a much more complicated alignment upon install. in a few years the jv3 will still be kicking and heads will probably be dirt cheap (i.e. the dx2 head price of late). but for now i can't imagine not attempting to pick up a 33 instead for about 10k. it will be crazy super sweet compared.

I agree with this. We juse sold a 2006 JV3-130SPII for $3500 with a 54" Royal sovereign laminator, and the printer was in perfect condition, so I think the price your seller is asking is high.

And I also agree with artbot, for a few thousand more, seek out a good JV33, it's a much better machine all around (not that the JV3 is bad, it's killer, but the JV33 is a significant leap forward).

503WRAPS

I agree with this. We juse sold a 2006 JV3-130SPII for $3500 with a 54" Royal sovereign laminator, and the printer was in perfect condition, so I think the price your seller is asking is high.

And I also agree with artbot, for a few thousand more, seek out a good JV33, it's a much better machine all around (not that the JV3 is bad, it's killer, but the JV33 is a significant leap forward).

$3500 for both the printer and laminator?! Well last night I found a local one about 3 hrs away. He is asking $5k with no software. I think I'll try offering $3500. Yes I agree if I had to spend 7k I'd be better off finding a jv33 for 9-10k. But if I can find a jv3 160sp for $3-4k I think it'd be a better deal.

artbot

i'm using good 'ol rasterlink. fine for what i do.

as far as cost. if you are on a budget, and you can get a jv3 for $2000 or a jv3sp for $3000-ish. that's not a bad deal. start ups will not be buried in orders and the slightly more troublesome machine at a lower cost will make you some money. but if budget allows get the right one installed. transporting and installing a jv3 then selling it and then transporting and installing a jv33 in the course of 24 months isn't worth it. you will lose way more than $5000 in time and money and productivity getting that accomplished. these are beastly machines that will require a bit of going through even after install if used. it's a costly undertaking to simply upgrade.