• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mimaki JV33-160 unused for a few years, what precautions to take before running again

averroesdesign

Hi guys, I am hoping someone could guide me in the right direction.

Previously I run a graphic design business with in house digital printing facilities. A few years ago I decided to consolidate my setup and outsource most of my production work deeming all my equipment surplus.

Amongst this kit was my JV33-160 which i owned since new. At the time in amazing condition printing beautifully using original Mimaki Ink for most of its like (around 5-6 years) and the rest on Nazdar (2-3 years).

Since around end of 2016 ive not used the machine however ensured its always plugged in at mains "cycling through". Never has it been switched off since however Im wondering what precautions i would need to take to get it running again. Would the lines have dried up? would the head be beyond usable? Or do i literally give it a go and see what happens.

Ive always been on top of my house keeping with my machine i.e. weekly clean and hard flush every fortnight.

Any advice but be brilliant.

Thank you in advance :)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Give it a go. It sounds like ink has been moving through the head so nothing should be clogged. That being said, I'm willing to bet a lot of nozzles will be clogged to begin with. If that's the case, run a hard cleaning and see if that helps but you might need to do a head soak to get it going. At the end of the day you might need a new head but you did the right thing by keeping it on so there's a chance it's fine!

averroesdesign

Give it a go. It sounds like ink has been moving through the head so nothing should be clogged. That being said, I'm willing to bet a lot of nozzles will be clogged to begin with. If that's the case, run a hard cleaning and see if that helps but you might need to do a head soak to get it going. At the end of the day you might need a new head but you did the right thing by keeping it on so there's a chance it's fine!

Hi Solventinkjet, thank you for such a swift response.

I have come across this term "soaking the head" not quite sure what that is and your right, best just giving it a go. To be honest I was planning on giving it a manual clean and then doing a hard clean on it a few time. If say the head is totally wrecked, would i need to change anything else i.e. lines that come to the head or are they usually part of the new head kits?

Also im certain the wash cartridge at the rear would be empty, would that make a massive different to a. my situation of the head potentially dry and b. benefit to hard clean?

In the past when ive wanted to order these, our Mimaki broker would often say its beneficial on initial setup to prime lines only. Not sure the level of truth in this.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
"soaking the head"

Mimaki calls it a nozzle wash. It will be in the maintenance menu. It will move the head out from the capping station, prompt you to clean the wiper and cap top, then prompt you to fill liquid (cleaning solution), and then park the head on the cap top full of solution. I usually set it for at least half an hour but 1 hour will get tougher clogs out. The cap should be so full of solution that you see if bubble over the edge of the cap.

I usually recommend changing the dampers especially since yours are very old now. You might need a new cap top as well as the rubber has probably flattened out. When I put the cap top in I usually shoot some cleaning solution through the waste tubes to make sure they aren't clogged as well.

The wash cartridge simply puts cleaning solution into the cap once in a while to keep the pump from clogging. It also fills the cap for you when you do a nozzle wash but you can also just manually fill it with a syringe if you are out of solution.

averroesdesign

Mimaki calls it a nozzle wash. It will be in the maintenance menu. It will move the head out from the capping station, prompt you to clean the wiper and cap top, then prompt you to fill liquid (cleaning solution), and then park the head on the cap top full of solution. I usually set it for at least half an hour but 1 hour will get tougher clogs out. The cap should be so full of solution that you see if bubble over the edge of the cap.

I usually recommend changing the dampers especially since yours are very old now. You might need a new cap top as well as the rubber has probably flattened out. When I put the cap top in I usually shoot some cleaning solution through the waste tubes to make sure they aren't clogged as well.

The wash cartridge simply puts cleaning solution into the cap once in a while to keep the pump from clogging. It also fills the cap for you when you do a nozzle wash but you can also just manually fill it with a syringe if you are out of solution.

What is the actual name of the cleaning solution. I have previous just ordered "cleaning solution" which i use to manually clean the head etc but would love to know if can purchase it elsewhere

averroesdesign

Worth doing a nozzle check and taking it from there! Have you tried one?

Hi buddy ive had to edit my message ive just realised what your asking. Ive not used wide format for a while hence simple terminology is going over my head.

Yes i often did a nozzle check following clean to ensure all colours are printing. Every so often id check head alignment also

averroesdesign

So what does that look like? Got a picture?

O ive not done anything as we speak. Hence why i wanted to know of precautions to take before switching it on. My plan is to clean the head first with swabs ensure no baked on ink on surface then run a couple of hard cleans then do a nozzle check, fingers crossed its not too bad at this stage.