• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Mimaki SS21 ink issues

Tim AFX

Any one else having Mimaki SS21 ink issues? We believe that the SS21 inks, made in Japan with a blue labels have caused us thousands of dollars in repairs on our Mimaki JV150-160. We don't know if it a certain lot #(L3000244 Ver 2).
At first it was thought that it was the dampers, we replaced them. Then the pump was blamed, replaced it. Then we had to replace the print head!!! We believe it was due to ink starvation.
The ink cartridge would be emptied, but it wouldn't register on the printer. Our supplier apparently got this response from Mimaki:
"Place them on the side as if it were installed in the machine.
We have had some where the flag stuck on top of cartridge
With tweezer pull both flags to ensure they move a similar distance while on its side.
Once you know the flag will move the right distance it is good to use."
Well, we did that and still had an ink run out, but showed it still had 10%. We noticed the different colour label and are now requesting only the made in Taiwan with a purple label, which we have not had any issues with.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
hmmm I've been dicking with mine all morning, lost yellow yesterday and line had air in it. I swapped the yellow (with the darker blue label) that felt low with a new one, with one that had the original colored labels, changed dampers and am doing an ink fill now. I don't think a damper would cause it to just drop out 100% with no prior banding or anything. The ink is the likely culprit

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Back working. I was running low on media and just happened to walk in when the yellow dropped out last night. Good thing I did or we might be putting a head in ours too.

Tim AFX

hmmm I've been dicking with mine all morning, lost yellow yesterday and line had air in it. I swapped the yellow (with the darker blue label) that felt low with a new one, with one that had the original colored labels, changed dampers and am doing an ink fill now. I don't think a damper would cause it to just drop out 100% with no prior banding or anything. The ink is the likely culprit
That is exactly what happened to us!

Notarealsignguy

I'm surprised that they said it was the pump, there is only 1 which would effect everything equally.
I only see 1 flag on the cartridge and it is all the way out on the one we had a problem with. Oh well, that was a good way to waste a few hours.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
Any one else having Mimaki SS21 ink issues? We believe that the SS21 inks, made in Japan with a blue labels have caused us thousands of dollars in repairs on our Mimaki JV150-160. We don't know if it a certain lot #(L3000244 Ver 2).
At first it was thought that it was the dampers, we replaced them. Then the pump was blamed, replaced it. Then we had to replace the print head!!! We believe it was due to ink starvation.
The ink cartridge would be emptied, but it wouldn't register on the printer. Our supplier apparently got this response from Mimaki:
With tweezer pull both flags to ensure they move a similar distance while on its side.
Well, we did that and still had an ink run out, but showed it still had 10%. We noticed the different colour label and are now requesting only the made in Taiwan with a purple label, which we have not had any issues with.
I stopped using Mimaki inks a while back and use STS Inks now. Never a problem anymore.

marcohs

We have the same problem. We would run out of Cyan after a few meters of print. It would come back after fill up ink, but after a while it was gone again.
Luckily my technician asked Mimaki and they told him that they were having this issue.
We put on hold the pieces i was going to change to try and fix it, and Mimaki told him that for now I should print only till I get to 50% of the ink, then replace it. they are trying to figure it out, so he said.
Now I‘m just waiting on them, but the printer seems fine this week.