• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki UCJV-300-160 white to clear conversion

neoguri

Hello, my shop is getting a showroom model UCJV300-160 with double white- we wanted the clear and was told it would cost around 4-5000 to send a Mimaki tech out.

I was wondering if there are any tutorial on how to do this myself- or 8f there is a more cost effective way to do this.

Any help is appreciated! I did try the search function- but I may be not wording it correctly- I couldn't find relevant threads.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I looked in the dealer portal for the ink change procedure but I didn't find one. I have done this conversion on JFX200 machines which use the same head system and ink. In that case Mimaki requires you basically change everything out that touches the ink and flush the system. So bottle holder, primary filters, sub tank, print head, and cap top. In practice you only change the head if it clogs up during the conversion. That's probably why it is so expensive. They are quoting changing everything.

Lucky for you the UCJV300 doesn't use primary filters so that cuts those out. I usually don't recommend changing the cap top as it's not necessary unless you aren't getting suction. And like I said above, we only change the head if it fails to make it through the conversion. So that would leave the bottle holder, sub tank and flush.

Bottle Holder x 2 - $444
Sub tank x 1 - $139
Bottle of Flush x 2 - $106

Total parts - $689

Now if the head doesn't make it through the conversion, add about $3200 on to the bill. I've never had one fail but it's something I always warn my customers about before they decide to proceed.

I'd say the going rate for service these days is anywhere between $150 and $200 per hour but a Mimaki employed tech is always going to set you back much more due to them having to fly out and stay in a hotel and because they simply charge more as the manufacturer. They technically should be the best tech you can get. If your dealer has a tech, they usually charge less and are closer so you don't have to pay so much travel cost. If I were to be hired here in Denver to do the same conversion, the total cost would probably be around $2000 if the head doesn't need to be changed.

I can't know what your skill level is so it's hard to say if you could do it yourself. As a tech for over 10 years I will say that this machine is medium difficulty to work on. It has a pressure system which adds to the complexity, the ink lines are black so you can't simply look at the line to see if you have ink flow, the inks cure with light so working on it for an extended period of time requires you to be careful not to leave it exposed for too long, and the head area is jam packed with no room to maneuver. If that sounds fun to you, give it a try! Just keep in mind that the worst that could happen is you break the head and need to call a tech in to install a $3200 head! Also, getting your hands on a tech manual will be difficult. I'm not allowed to give them out.

neoguri

Thank you for your detailed response-

I won't say I'm experienced with working on printers, but I'm generally fairly handy- I have a background working on cars and computers- and was an engineer in the lighting industry dealing with many small fragile parts.

I'll hold off on working on this printer until- maybe it's first service after warranty... what are the chances of finding a service manual for this printer- can I even buy one or is it like an industry secret?

Dasdesignguy

Production Manager/Field Service Tech
Hello, my shop is getting a showroom model UCJV300-160 with double white- we wanted the clear and was told it would cost around 4-5000 to send a Mimaki tech out.

I was wondering if there are any tutorial on how to do this myself- or 8f there is a more cost effective way to do this.

Any help is appreciated! I did try the search function- but I may be not wording it correctly- I couldn't find relevant threads.
On a UCJV you either have dual cmykcmyk, cmyklmlcww or cmykclclww. What exactly is the color setup on the model you are getting? I've done a conversion of a cmyklmlcww to a cmykclclww and all you need is 4 bottles of flush to flush head 2. If you haven't done it before I would recommend you let someone who has do it for you.

neoguri

We are getting the cmyklmlcww. I am steering towards getting a tech to do it just to see it how it's done. But not immediately.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
On a UCJV you either have dual cmykcmyk, cmyklmlcww or cmykclclww. What exactly is the color setup on the model you are getting? I've done a conversion of a cmyklmlcww to a cmykclclww and all you need is 4 bottles of flush to flush head 2. If you haven't done it before I would recommend you let someone who has do it for you.

Good call on the 4 bottles. I was thinking flushing just the clear but if you do it the right way, the white would also be flushed at the same time.

CJN

Help guys, please!
I have bought a used Mimaki UCJV300-107. Color setup is CMYK+CMYK, but I want to convert it to CMYK+LcLmCLWh. Could somebody tell me how difficult is to do it?
I'm well strong in printers service but not in this type printers. All I understand I need to flush out a second head including all ink tracks, then change settings from 4 colors to 8 colors. Do I need to something more? Any parts need to be replaced during this process?

Kind regards,

CJ

APCInk

Merchant Member
Help guys, please!
I have bought a used Mimaki UCJV300-107. Color setup is CMYK+CMYK, but I want to convert it to CMYK+LcLmCLWh. Could somebody tell me how difficult is to do it?
I'm well strong in printers service but not in this type printers. All I understand I need to flush out a second head including all ink tracks, then change settings from 4 colors to 8 colors. Do I need to something more? Any parts need to be replaced during this process?

Kind regards,

CJ
Hey CJ, as Solventinkjet stated earlier in the thread, your setup is going to be 4-color, 2xClear and 2xWhite (double-clear is needed for ink to be glossy and to retain any sense of print speed).

No parts are needed but you’ll need to access the service modes to do a #ADJUST => HEAD WASH, and I’d probably run this a couple of times to avoid tinting your white and clear with the previously colored inks (may still happen for a bit)

Also, you will need to connect the recirculation lines for the white at the ink tanks and at print head subtank. Those Mimaki fittings and “O-Ring” things can be tricky, so if you can find a local tech, it’s advised.

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
Help guys, please!

Kind regards,

CJ
You can not get a CMYK+LcLmCLWh, with clear and white you lose the LC and LM as clear and white require 2 bottles of each.

CJN

Hi guys,

Thank you for your fast response about color transfer on my UCJV300. Seems like it is not so simple to do it myself, and here is no techie guy in Ireland to do it. so I'm going to leave it for a bit later.
But I have another question - my machine do 'Refresh' cycle every 30min, even on settings it is set for every 4h. Is it because a few inks have exp date after 1 month and they blinks in orange?

Kind regards,

CJ