• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

molding removal left holes

insigns

Hey there,
I have a couple brand new kia souls in the shop for wraps right now. I was surprised to find that the side moldings are put on with clips and are leaving me with small holes in the side of the car. I don't want the moldings on for these wraps, but the customer wants to be able to reapply with minimal trouble after the wraps serve their purpose. Can I span the molding area with maybe invinca shield before wrapping the car in order to protect the holes?

thanks

ThinkRight

You could fill the hole like you do on a wall .
Use silicone , and wipe it flush and let it dry.
Silicone will not hurt the paint and will rub off with you finger.
Kinda like silicone Spackle .
Just let it dry.
Use your fingers to fill the hole and a clean finger to wipe it flush with the paint.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
No. Do not use silicone. The vinyl will not stick to silicone at all. We have 2 methods we use. One is to just cut some small circles about a quarter inch larger than the holes in vinyl and apply those first of course letting the customer know. Never had any problem with small holes doing this. On larger holes like on a Crown Vic rear doors, we (also informing the customer) put plastic trim holders in the holes. They do not stay in the hole on their own, we put banner tape on the back of the trim holder to stick it to the door. It does stick out a little bit and you see it under the wrap but it's a lot better than an eventual hole on the wrap or the big fugly moulding. You can get the clips at an auto parts store, they have one that is nearly an inch and half in diameter with a smooth glossy slightly rounded surface plus smaller ones.

HulkSmash

You could fill the hole like you do on a wall .
Use silicone , and wipe it flush and let it dry.
Silicone will not hurt the paint and will rub off with you finger.
Kinda like silicone Spackle .
Just let it dry.
Use your fingers to fill the hole and a clean finger to wipe it flush with the paint.

don't use silicone, vinyl won't stick to it.

jfiscus

Rap Master
A piece of thicker reflective vinyl or a small circle of vehicle magnetic material usually works well in a case like this.