• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Monitor Question...

cOrKinSA

I have a Dell Inspirion 9400 with a 17" monitor and it never bothered me much until now.
As I work or view websites on my Dell Latitude Desktop with a 19" monitor the screen is filled and vibrant but when I jump on the Inspirion I have so much left and right space.
I have tried changing the setting but I get an ATI warning that the lappie is best viewed at 1920 x 1200 and the screen gets all blurry on me. I Zoom pages and Text sizes but then when I go to other pages where the layouts were okay I have to correct the zoom to it's original settings.
Has anyone ran into this problem and if so what have you done to correct it?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Poconopete

Is that only a problem while web browsing? Some sites are designed with a fixed width to keep everything from moving around at different resolutions.

Samm

To expand my question, the times when I have had to reload my inspiron from scratch - there has always been a problem with browsing - not enough colour bits or some damn thing, until I download a correct driver for the monitor.

Samm

Go to here, enter your service tag number and it will tell you what should be loaded, pick your drivers from there and you're (hopefully!) sweet :)

Samm

I just looked at one of my dells and it came flooding back, wrong monitor driver can wreak havok.

Check what drivers you're meant to have, check what ones you do have, take it from there.

Sorry I'm not of mroe use, I can only deal with things like this when I'm actually sitting at the puter!!

cOrKinSA

Is that only a problem while web browsing? Some sites are designed with a fixed width to keep everything from moving around at different resolutions.
I am guessing this might be the problem because evreything else isn't making this look different.

Samm

So it does!!!

I'm on a 17" LG laptop as we speak.

Yup, can zoom on it but who wants to do that with every webpage.

Heck I don't know what to suggest...I prefer looking at it on this screen that I do on the 19"

John M

The disadvantage of a widescreen monitor is that you get a lot of filler space when viewing websites designed to be centered on the screen. If it wasn't displayed like that it'd be out of proportion and everything would look squashed flat.

Signs101.com uses all of the available screen width. My website is 800 pixels wide, centered on the screen, and the browser will fill the rest of the screen with a background color. Sites have to be designed to stretch or they'll look really bad for some visitors.

You found one of the few drawbacks of LCD screens too -- they look good only at their native (physical) resolution. Anything different than that looks blocky.

cOrKinSA

Thanks for letting me know John.
That kinda blows that I can't use the full potential of my screen. It would have made it easier to finally get to working on my website, but I guess I can only do this on my desktop.
Is it just me that has this problem or does every one reach this point where when it comes to doing any design work for yourself be it a Vehicle wrap, Business cards, or Websites you just cant get it right!
It's like a Catch 22 because if you create something crappy then people will know thats the best you can do, but if you don't do anything at all they wonder what you can do anything.
urgh... I need some coffee...

Idea Design

I too have and Inspiron 9400 with the 17" widescreen, and I personally love it.

The native resolution is set so high, however, that some people can't get used to it. Having a widescreen, as John said, leaves much white space on the sides.

You should look at is as the glass is half full. Design real estate is so hard to come by with all the toolbars and other shit that splatters our screens, that a widescreen makes it much easier to deal with.

BTW, my wife H A T E S how small everything appears on that 9400, so much so that we are buying her her own notebook to cruise around on and set her resolution to whatever her little heart desires.

cparker

rotate your screen (to "portrait" position) and if the web site has controls for such things (mine does), set the width to full. :)