• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Monitor won't wake up

Colin

I'm using a DVI KVM switch between my two computers on my new Dell monitor, and for the first time ever, the monitor is in sleep mode when I switch to the old XP machine and it won't wake up. How can I get it to wake?

Colin

After Googling the problem on the "live" computer, it appears that this is not entirely uncommon with the Dells. Had to do a forced shut-down which solved it. Changed the sleep setting on the XP machine to "never".

Letterbox Mike

Hibernation/sleep always seems to cause problems... with everything

Yeah. I've got two Dell monitors connected to my computer, an older 2001FP and a newer 3007WFP. If my computer goes to sleep, the 2001 is hard to get to wake up, usually I have to either unplug the power cord or occasionally the DVI cable, then plug it back in, and it comes back to life. Every once in a while the 3007 will also do this, but it's rarer. I've also noticed this in the past with some of our other Dell monitors on other computers. I don't know if it's just a Dell monitor thing or what, but they definitely don't seem to like to be connected to computers that go to sleep. Anymore we just adjust the power settings so the computers never hibernate so we don't have to deal with it.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
We have several Dell monitors and never a problem. However, I'm thinking that the issue is that the computer hibernates before it tells the monitor to put itself into standby mode.

Out computers are set to never hibernate -- Windows really doesn't (in my experience) do that well.

But we do have the power saver settings set to tell the monitors to turn themselves off after half an hour or so.

Maybe you could try setting the monitors to power off at, say, 25 minutes and then setting the computer to hibernate at 30 minutes. Then, when the computer comes out of hibernation, it sends the proper power up signal to the monitor.

fbman63

Unplug it place it on the floor out back of shed insert foot into wok boots and proceed to kick the living crap out of it