• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Most Cost Effect (Cheapest) Monitor For Design And Printing?

player

My main monitor made some loud snapping/firecracker sounds and then died.

It was a 24" Samsung, but instead of being 1980 x 1080 it was 1920 x 1200. This made it about 1" taller than a regular 24" 1920 x 1080.

So am looking at replacing it. Any cost effective suggestions? Accurate colours are preferred. I have a calibration device, which I have never used...

Pippin Decals

My main monitor made some loud snapping/firecracker sounds and then died.

It was a 24" Samsung, but instead of being 1980 x 1080 it was 1920 x 1200. This made it about 1" taller than a regular 24" 1920 x 1080.

So am looking at replacing it. Any cost effective suggestions? Accurate colours are preferred. I have a calibration device, which I have never used...

I also use a samsung monitor LED i got from costco earlier this year, And i use a spyder 5 elite and Spyder 5 Printer calibrator and everything matches perfect..I will stay with a samsung and the spyder.. Depending on your calibrator ,it should do you fine if you go back with a newer samsung.

player

I also use a samsung monitor LED i got from costco earlier this year, And i use a spyder 5 elite and Spyder 5 Printer calibrator and everything matches perfect..I will stay with a samsung and the spyder.. Depending on your calibrator ,it should do you fine if you go back with a newer samsung.

I have the Eye1 big kit. Does monitors, printers, projection screens etc. I am not sold on the Samsung as I had a repair earlier under warranty, and now it's DOA.

Last edited:

shepherddesigns

I've been running Dell Ultrasharp 24 monitors (U2415) for over a year now and love them. They are 16:10 and come pre-calibrated. You can get them for around $250, so they're tough to beat from a bang for the buck standpoint.

player

I've been running Dell Ultrasharp 24 monitors (U2415) for over a year now and love them. They are 16:10 and come pre-calibrated. You can get them for around $250, so they're tough to beat from a bang for the buck standpoint.

Thanks. Here in Canada they are $420 CAD. I will be looking at the different Ultrasharp monitors. Some are up to $600+ for the same size.

edit: I don't think the U2415 has the Color Premier feature.

Last edited:

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Thanks. Here in Canada they are $420 CAD. I will be looking at the different Ultrasharp monitors. Some are up to $600+ for the same size.

edit: I don't think the U2415 has the Color Premier feature.

The Dell UltraSharps routinely go on sale .... just keep an eye on the site weekly and you will eventually see the model you want discounted quite nicely. Yes, even in Canada. Just make sure your starting point is dell.ca

SignBurst PCs

I guess that I should mention that for best results in Premier Color, you will need a GPU capable of 10Bit OpenGL, not 10Bit DirectX. This means if you are using an Nvidia card, it must be a Quadro using a DisplayPort connection. It is driver restricted.

But even without an expensive Quadro, you will still have good results with 8 Bit OpenGL with Premier Color. It is up to you if it is worth the extra investment in a Quadro for the 10bpc vs 8bpc. Wide gamuts don't necessarily require 10bpc.

Last edited:

SignBurst PCs

How important is the Premier color option? I can get a Del U2415 24" monitor for $350-ish CAD, but the one with Color Premier start at $700 CAD.

What is Color Premier?

Thanks

If you are looking for a quality 24" at a good price, look up a U2412M on B&H Photo. It is a slightly older model, but they usually have it priced well.