• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mother board fromFalcon/Rockhopper 46 into a 62. Wont see paper end.HELP

Leebee

Hi all. Long time listener and first time caller.

I have a 62 Mutoh Rockhopper/Falcon that has been giving me errant head firings. They show as vertical lines the width of the head in all colors from both heads. Sometimes there is 1 or 2 in a poster and sometimes there are hundreds. It occurs in both internal test prints as well as sent files.
Mutoh print.jpg

I have a 46" as a parts machine and have been replacing cables and boards in an attempt to troubleshoot this.
I am at the stage where only the motherboard is left but when I swapped them it won't recognize paper wider than the 46" machine it came from.
I have checked the settings and can't see how to change this.

I believe it can be changed only because of an ad for a motherboard for sale online that lists its compatibility as being more than one size.

I am including a pic of the problem and would like some advice on both the printing and board issue.
Thanks in advance,

Leebee

In my opinion. you are going down the wrong road in swapping out the motherboard.

I have seen this specific type of problem with Mutoh Falcon/ Rockhopper printers before (many years ago now) and I believe the issue is related to the linear encoder and/ or sensor. I have seen cases where the carriage rail was not well-lubricated and this caused vibrations that resulted in this type of artifact. I have seen cases where a dirty linear encoder itself, or a failing encoder sensor causes this.

I would first clean, and then potentially replace the linear encoder strip (T-rail), the encoder sensor (clean then replace if cleaning is not effective).

klemgraphics

In my opinion. you are going down the wrong road in swapping out the motherboard.

I have seen this specific type of problem with Mutoh Falcon/ Rockhopper printers before (many years ago now) and I believe the issue is related to the linear encoder and/ or sensor. I have seen cases where the carriage rail was not well-lubricated and this caused vibrations that resulted in this type of artifact. I have seen cases where a dirty linear encoder itself, or a failing encoder sensor causes this.

I would first clean, and then potentially replace the linear encoder strip (T-rail), the encoder sensor (clean then replace if cleaning is not effective).

This^

I had one that did that exact same thing, cleaned the encoder and never had a problem again.....well that printer still fought me constantly but it fixed that one problem at least.

Leebee

Agreed

I see your wisdom and have cleaned both it and the encoder reader to no avail.
I have found encoder strips for cheap on Ebay, are they as generic as they seem. Some sites claim many brands with no model specifics and some list the later models only.

Insights?

For $40 ill get one but first Ill swap out the reader with the 46" parts machine I have.

Leebee

FIxed

Fixed it.

Seems due to wiping the T Fence or maybe the printer loosing its mind the Home Position was corrupted causing it to not reach the set position and giving a E072 Err Y Timeout.

I replaced or swapped all parts related and not related and finally stumbled upon a way to erase the home position parameter and it was able to finish most of its start up procedure and gave a "Can't find home" error. I then was able to enter SVC mode and set the parameter.
Voila!