• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mottling

JonDood

Hi guys,

We're running a brand new Epson 40600 we bought earlier this month with Onyx19. We upgraded from an old Xerox wide-format which we were using in the exact same environment (though we were using Caldera as our rip) and we're experiencing mottling on higher pass rates and grainy prints if we lower the passes. We're printing onto the exact same old vinyl aswell as new media right out of the box. Our supplier suggested that the media was at fault and sent us test media, which went onto the Epson as soon as it arrived and gave us the same results.

Any suggestions/anybody else out there with the same issue?

Attachments

• IMG_20191015_125537.jpg
    IMG_20191015_125537.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20191022_114809-2.jpg
    IMG_20191022_114809-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179

Lindsey

Not A New Member
I've seen mottling like this, especially on clear vinyls, when the heat settings are not ideal. You could try increasing the temperature on the heater/dryer.

Do you get the same results if you choose a different media profile from the rip software? I'd try a few small tests using alternate profiles.

Joe House

Profiles and temperature settings can both affect this and both would be dependent on the environment, so canned profiles from Onyx or Epson may not be the best for your particular shop.

Good luck

Andy D

That looks like overinking. You'll need to set up profiles for the media.
Agree 100% Too much ink, adjust your ink limits, it's easy and you don't have to worry about ruining prints when printed vinyl touches printed vinyl.

Evan Gillette

As others have mentioned it looks like over saturation, I would play around with other profiles, or for sake of verifying you are on the right track, reduce the saturation of all channels and see if you can get it to look any better with the same profile. We are not using onyx so Im not sure what settings you would use to do this.

Andy D

You see the spots where the ink pools around the imperfections of the vinyl? That's what I call "fish eyes", the
ink is so thick that it pools up around them because it can't dry fast enough.
Youtube Onyx & setting ink limits, you can adjust them by eye.
One important thing, don't adjust the original profile, clone it and adjust that.