• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting PVC sign/letters to shiplap - Dowel screws?

jorgolush

Hello, I need to mount big PVC letters on exterior shiplap - Any idea where I can find 1/2" dowels already mounted to a threaded screw?
Ive googled dowel screws and those look like something I could use efficiently, but I don't want to have to drill out dozens of 1/2" wooden dowels to fit over them...
I have CNC files set up to place 1/2 holes in the backs of the signs and letters. Is 1/2" overkill? the components are going to be made up of 3 layers of 1" pvc, so they'll be
a bit heavier than a single layer.

These dowels are going into 1/2" tongue and groove wood siding for a tradesheow booth (outdoors). I imagine they will want to take them down and mount in their HQ or elsewhere.
Is there a product or tip you could recommend that would allow me to tape up my template, pre-drill holes then screw in a 1/4" dowel without having to make my own?

Thank you!

jorgolush

Thank you! total noob on the signage. we make custom displays and have some cool toys (5x10 Multicam CNC, Boss laser, HP latex 570, 5x10 Zund)
just haven't been asked until now. seems straightforward until you realize there's a big diff between cutting letters and engineering the hanging of and installation of said "letters"... this is one of the ones I'm going to wish I said no to. I'm layering 1" pieces of PVC to get the 3" thickness. was initially going to vinyl the face and leave sides black. that was the yes. then they wanted them painted.. oof.

jorgolush

Thank you for the Suggestion on 1/4" studs. This is the final product.
This is 3 layers of 1" pvc glued/screwed together then prime/paint

1633364345611.jpeg