• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Moving from Onyx to Flexi

Mata

Hi everyone

I have just moved from Onyx 21 to Flexi 22. I've only downloaded the trial at the moment so I wanted to text the waters before moving across.

I've setup the printer and Cutter but I don't quote know what to do next. I'm designing on a Mac, once I've got my print file or cut file, I want to save it as a pdf and send across to the windows computer to print or cut. How do I do this? I've been staring at it all morning and I am no further forward, all I keep thinking is that Onyx is so much easier to use but that's because I am used to it.

Thanks

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Just fire up production manager and use it like Onyx. Open file, set it up, send it out. It's not that different.

Last edited:

ikarasu

Why do you want to switch?

Ive used Flexi and onyx, I paid 3k to get rid of Flexi on my home server because I hated it.

Were forced to use flexi for traffic at work, and that's the only time we open it. Onyx workflow is just easier and better.

A big part of it is yes, because you're used to onyx it's "better". Flexi is just as capable... But you're learning new software, so I'd say unless you have a specific reason for switching.... Stay with onyx.

But yes, Flexi comes with 2 software's - one is a design software and one is the rip. Open up production manager, then it's easy enough to figure out from there to get printing - all the settings and stuff youll have to play around with and find by double clicking the file.

Nesting is... Different and the main reason I hate Flexi. You have to select which files you want to nest and nest then, then go in and change the qty - if you change a setting before nesting... A lot of times it won't let you nest that file with the others .. I'm sure once you get used to the workflow it isn't as bad. But I tried to muster through for 6 months with the free Flexi that came with my printer..then I gave up.

Mata

Why do you want to switch?

Ive used Flexi and onyx, I paid 3k to get rid of Flexi on my home server because I hated it.

Were forced to use flexi for traffic at work, and that's the only time we open it. Onyx workflow is just easier and better.

A big part of it is yes, because you're used to onyx it's "better". Flexi is just as capable... But you're learning new software, so I'd say unless you have a specific reason for switching.... Stay with onyx.

But yes, Flexi comes with 2 software's - one is a design software and one is the rip. Open up production manager, then it's easy enough to figure out from there to get printing - all the settings and stuff youll have to play around with and find by double clicking the file.

Nesting is... Different and the main reason I hate Flexi. You have to select which files you want to nest and nest then, then go in and change the qty - if you change a setting before nesting... A lot of times it won't let you nest that file with the others .. I'm sure once you get used to the workflow it isn't as bad. But I tried to muster through for 6 months with the free Flexi that came with my printer..then I gave up.
To be honest, the grass seems greener on the Flexi Side from what I've seen.

One of my issues is the crop mark distance. Time and time again I send a design to onyx and I get told my media isn't wide enough due to Onyx adding the crop marks. I then have to go back to illustrator, nest the images myself and add my own crop marks before sending back to onyx. I had to setup another setting so that Onyx didn't add crop marks I can then use the full width of the media. Onyx seems to add the crop marks wider than the artwork, I'd rather use more media than having to squeeze the marks within the width.

I'm also getting fed up using Cutting Master and Onyx. If onyx is open, Cutting master won't connect to my cutter. To make this work, I need to close Onyx as it keeps the port open (when using TCP/IP)

There's plenty more reasons so I thought I would try t first.

ikarasu

You can use inside crop marks in onyx. We setup all our artwork with crops in illustrator, I don't believe onyx adds bleed and stuff to crops...

Cm and onyx canceling eachother out is annoying. Flexi / come are both made by Sai, so they should work together better at least.

Flexi isn't bad, if you can get used to it. I found Flexi a bit harder to learn how to do basic tasks than onyx though, it wasnt as... Fluid? I suggest going in and just playing with every option, probably the fastest / easiest way to learn.

clemento

None or less
I liked easysign better than flexi. It was more like corel, easy to use direkt export from corel, good nesting send direct to print manager and to cutter after printing. Now I use ergosoft posterprint. Also good but is onlg rip.

Print1

Tech for your cutter, printer & logistics needs
To be honest. The crop issues are simple l set up, onyx is more industry standard and can be grown into where as flexi is more consumer side.. really comes down to you, if you downloaded trial and like it then go with it, from production / commercial side I’d recommend sticking with onyx.