• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1614 Head Assembly Vibration while printing - E074 CR Current Error

Woodsey3

Question: While printing, all of a sudden there is a loud vibration noise when the head unit is in motion. I went through and cleaned the rails & regreased, cleaned encoder strip, and metal rollers at the ends that the metal belt runs on. I have adjusted the belt and main supports for the machine to see if that may be the cause. It will vibrate enough to cause it to stop printing and throw a E074 CR Current error. What should I check or replace to figure out what is causing this issue? I have called a couple local companies to try to get a technician out here months ago with no return call. I am at a loss. Location:Michigan if anyone has recommendations also for a service tech.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It could just be the bearings on the carriage are bad. That's a fairly old machine so I wouldn't be surprised. It could also just be a bad encoder or sensor.

One thing you can try that might fix the issue right away is to tighten the speed reduction belt. You just loosen the motor, pull it tight and tighten the motor screws. The speed reduction belt is the orange belt that goes from the motor to the drive cylinder.

Woodsey3

It could just be the bearings on the carriage are bad. That's a fairly old machine so I wouldn't be surprised. It could also just be a bad encoder or sensor.

One thing you can try that might fix the issue right away is to tighten the speed reduction belt. You just loosen the motor, pull it tight and tighten the motor screws. The speed reduction belt is the orange belt that goes from the motor to the drive cylinder.
Thank You - Will try that. Do you have the bearings in stock ?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Unfortunately the bearings only come with a new carriage from Mutoh. I have had a few customers track them down overseas though so they are out there if you need them. I'm sure you don't want to spend $600+ for bearings!

Woodsey3

Unfortunately the bearings only come with a new carriage from Mutoh. I have had a few customers track them down overseas though so they are out there if you need them. I'm sure you don't want to spend $600+ for bearings!
Ouch - Link for new carriage? I also noticed that the inside of the orange belt is breaking - some missing ridges...

tulsagraphics

Question: While printing, all of a sudden there is a loud vibration noise when the head unit is in motion. I went through and cleaned the rails & regreased, cleaned encoder strip, and metal rollers at the ends that the metal belt runs on. I have adjusted the belt and main supports for the machine to see if that may be the cause. It will vibrate enough to cause it to stop printing and throw a E074 CR Current error. What should I check or replace to figure out what is causing this issue? I have called a couple local companies to try to get a technician out here months ago with no return call. I am at a loss. Location:Michigan if anyone has recommendations also for a service tech.
My Mutoh 1614 did the same thing (noisy while printing + E068 / E074s) about 4 years ago. The noise got louder over the course of several months (I cleaned / greased everything I could find). Errors were intermittent. After lots of trial and error I eventually narrowed it down to the CR motor. (bought a replacement CR motor online from an unknown parts supplier, but after waiting several weeks for the motor to ship, I ended up buying one from solventinkjet for a little more money. I definitely should have went to solventinkjet first because they had a new motor at my door within a few days, whereas that "other" order took about 6 weeks to arrive). Swapped it out and the machine was back to running like new!

Others may have some input on how to properly test one of these motors, but this worked for me:
With the motor removed, just hang onto the pulley while spinning it. If the motor spins freely or has any uneven / muted clinking sounds, it's bad. A good motor will have some resistance and offer a very smooth "hum".

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• cr-motor.jpg
    cr-motor.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 169
  • cr-motor-inside.png
    cr-motor-inside.png
    857.1 KB · Views: 154

Woodsey3

My Mutoh 1614 did the same thing (noisy while printing + E068 / E074s) about 4 years ago. The noise got louder over the course of several months (I cleaned / greased everything I could find). Errors were intermittent. After lots of trial and error I eventually narrowed it down to the CR motor. (bought a replacement CR motor online from an unknown parts supplier, but after waiting several weeks for the motor to ship, I ended up buying one from solventinkjet for a little more money. I definitely should have went to solventinkjet first because they had a new motor at my door within a few days, whereas that "other" order took about 6 weeks to arrive). Swapped it out and the machine was back to running like new!

Others may have some input on how to properly test one of these motors, but this worked for me:
With the motor removed, just hang onto the pulley while spinning it. If the motor spins freely or has any uneven / muted clinking sounds, it's bad. A good motor will have some resistance and offer a very smooth "hum".

Hope that helps!
Thank you! I think (not sure) it is maybe the motor or bearings on the head assembly?

Woodsey3

Here's a link to the speed reduction belt if you need to replace it. Missing teeth can definitely cause issues.

Here's a link to the carriage but I would leave that to last in your troubleshooting efforts!
I got the belt finally and replaced today. Went through everything again and started printing. The noise/vibration is still there but not as bad. It however on the first print run - threw the error again and the head assembly stopped on the left side as it was heading home (which has been the issue). I don't see anything wrong with the encoder strip or reader but I do have those parts, may go ahead and replace that, then recheck the motor to see if it spins properly and tightened. But what should be next? Replace motor or head assembly (bearings) or even order both? I just need to get back to running asap. Thanks

What are the Mutoh VJ16 Cursor Roller Arm Bearing ?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Carriage would be the last thing I do just because it's very expensive and the least likely to be causing the issue in my opinion. Encoder or motor is much more likely although I have seen in one rare case that is was a main board. .

The Cursor Roller Arms are the only bearings you can get without buying the carriage. The only replace the bottom bearings that hold the carriage to the Y bar.

Woodsey3

Carriage would be the last thing I do just because it's very expensive and the least likely to be causing the issue in my opinion. Encoder or motor is much more likely although I have seen in one rare case that is was a main board. .

The Cursor Roller Arms are the only bearings you can get without buying the carriage. The only replace the bottom bearings that hold the carriage to the Y bar.
Ok - I will switch out the encoder strip ,test and then is still there I will order the motor. Is that in stock to have shipped overnight by chance?

Woodsey3

Hope that helps!
Just wanted to say thank you for this. Finally went took back apart everything. Motor did exactly what you described with the spinning and clicking !!! So I had to see the inside also lol. Already bought new motor from solventinkjet where all my other parts come from. Should be here next week fingers crossed !!!

Attachments

• CR Motor.jpg
    CR Motor.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 142

tulsagraphics

Just wanted to say thank you for this. Finally went took back apart everything. Motor did exactly what you described with the spinning and clicking !!! So I had to see the inside also lol. Already bought new motor from solventinkjet where all my other parts come from. Should be here next week fingers crossed !!!
Awesome! Glad to hear it!

tulsagraphics

Did you get your new part (installed) yet? I'm interested to see how it works out for you.

Woodsey3

Did you get your new part (installed) yet? I'm interested to see how it works out for you.
I did and it ran good for a few. Just started the vibration (only on left side as the head unit heads towards home) noise again within the last week, it is quiet then makes noise an sometimes it is louder than other times then back to quiet, no code yet but it is getting bad/worse by the minute. Was going to replace the encoder strip ( I have it here) but there are no holes in it to attach so unsure how to go about that. I have a sample video of the noise but unable to post it here.

Attachments

• ES.jpg
    ES.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG-9803.jpg
    IMG-9803.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG-9804.jpg
    IMG-9804.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG-9807.jpg
    IMG-9807.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:

tulsagraphics

Hmmm... that's tricky. I didn't have any other issues after replacing my CR motor. I just made sure everything was super clean / greased. No problems since.

Maybe there are some bearings elsewhere that are going bad? At least... that's what "I" would look for. Others might have better suggestions / experience with it.

Woodsey3

I do have one in stock for overnight if needed. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YdzpDPgemT-bks3lP4cxnYDoj6cGbcSe/view?usp=sharing

Update:
I have attached a video of the noise/vibration we are still experiencing. So far no error codes have been thrown yet. It started several months ago. We have cleaned, greased, replaced encoder strip & reader, the CR Belt & Motor, leveled the whole unit, and last the head assembly. It only happens on the left side as the head is heading home.

What else could it be ?

Quote Reply