• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1638 vs. Roland XF-640

dispen

We recently bought a Roland XF 640. Our Texprint (Texprint 14 ver1) was not up-to-date. That is why we haven't tested it yet. Let me type my first opinions:
1) You need to have current version if you are using Texprint. That is a huge Con for us.
If we are talking about the mechanics of the device;
2) Users are not allowed to interfere operation of the device unlike MIMAKI JV5, JV33. As a user, you can just three cleaning options (Soft, normal, powerful cleaning).
3) Changing dampers is not as easy as MIMAKI JV5 or JV33. You need to disassemble comer covers before reaching the dampers.
4) According to the words of the technical guy, there is no feed comp (unlike to MIMAKI devices) with Roland XF 640. You just set the feed comp and the value keeps same for long enough time (weeks?).
5) There are separate heaters on the device. First two (pre and print) are up to 40C; the last one (Drier=post) temperature is up to 55C.
6) The device has a valve system which controls all ink tubes as a whole which means just one click starts/stops ink flow from th ecartridge to the dampers. ==> that seems quite logical to me. Because, for that kind of reasons Roland is simpler comparing to MIMAKI JV5.

Those are my first day observations about Roland XF 640.

dispen

Hello All,

We are in sublmation bussiness. XF-640 has two printheads (DX7)

It has been 1 year and 9 months since we bought our first ROLAND XF-640. I think, I might assume myself as true tester for that device.

1) In 21 months, we replaced 3 printheads (one replacement was this week) ==> approximate printhead life is 12months for us which is not bad for sublimation.

2) Spare parts;
Damper, and cap-tops hav to be original. Except for those components, we are succeccsully using cheap OEM components from China (sign-in-china). For example, Encoder strip, head cable, long cable etc are OEM components for us.

3) We are not using built-in heaters of the printer due to printhead drying. Instead of built-in heaters, we fixed an external heater for each printer. Our media (paper) should be the reason. Papers are too thin to preserve the heat. So, heat reaches up to printhead and dries it. That should not be an issue for sign business.

4) If we needed another printer, it would be XF-640 for us. It has no bad surpirzes for us any more I guess...