• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Falcon 48" not Printing to size

jmerlos

Is there a way to align the Mutoh Printers in order to print to the correct size. Our printer seems to come short of the actual size when printing large files. The reason being is that I have a customer that wants to have prints made for some prototypes and they have to be right on the dot and it seems like my printer is always an 1/8" to 1/4" short when printing.

Derf

Mine too, but only about 1/8" every 10' so I can live with that.

Check out the attached PDF

Attachments

• Falcon Outdoor Maint Man.pdf
    94.6 KB · Views: 217

RJ California

I used to have a Mutoh 48" and had the same problem. It was only noticable on large prints of 8 ft or more.I think you will have to compensate by making your print size slightly larger.

jmerlos

I used to have a Mutoh 48" and had the same problem. It was only noticable on large prints of 8 ft or more.I think you will have to compensate by making your print size slightly larger.

Yeah, I was afraid of that, it would take a lot of testing and a lot of prints to get an exact amount to increase each print.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
There isn't a friction feed device on the planet that will feed material without some deviation. I'm not sure how packages other than Flexi accommodate this but I'd bet the rent that they do.

In Flexi all you have to do is, in the Production Manager, select the setup that you want to correct then do Setup->Output Size Compensation. This brings up a dialog where you can specify both the expected length and the measured length. Whatever you input in these text boxes will be normalized to 12". Different media can have different compensation. For example, If I'm printing 36" banners I'll set it to 72 expected and 71.125 measured. If I'm doing 3M180C I'll do 60" and 50.5".

In Flexi you can output a test print from this dialog but it's only 12", a little small for any sort of precise correction.

One caveat, the corrections aren't cumulative. If you enter a correction that proves to be insufficient, you can't add to it, you have to enter the entire correction. A little fundamental Algebra and you easily can figure out a cumulative correction, but you have to do the math, not the program.

Derf

There is a distance adjustment in the maintenance menu on the Falcon.. I had to do this when I first got the machine. The tech walked me through it however I can't remember off hand how but if you go into maintenance or "Tech" menu on your printer there is a distance adjust that prints a Letter, I think "L" and you measure it and tell the Mutoh how long it is and then it will adjust.

Jloz

So did that fix the problem? I am new. I am still looking for a printer for my shop. For those of you that have a Mutoh how do you like it? I have noticed that this brand is a lot cheaper that some of the others out there. Does this mean that it is of lesser quality? I am thinking about buying a package deal from that signwarehouse. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Loz

visualeyez

We use a Falcon Outdoor 48 (46, lol) and have the same problem. The printer itself and flexi8 each have an option for something called the step adjust. I was thinking that this might have something to do with it. I would really like to get it figured out because when I want to print and contour cut a file longer than 6' my plotter will be looking about 1" from where the actuall marks are because of the length difference. Makes it a real PITA.

Derf

So did that fix the problem? I am new. I am still looking for a printer for my shop. For those of you that have a Mutoh how do you like it? I have noticed that this brand is a lot cheaper that some of the others out there. Does this mean that it is of lesser quality? I am thinking about buying a package deal from that signwarehouse. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Loz

After having the printer for going on two years now I have found out that the Mutoh, Roland, Mimaki have most of the same consumable parts..

Pumps, Dampers, Capping Stations, and print heads. Now over the last year each manufacture has adapted to ink changes in their own way some good some bad.

The Mutoh was on the bad end IMO because of their relationship with GEI Calgraph and lack of aftermarket parts and service.

Mutoh has made some local vendors able to service equipment for warranty work but that is still a work in progress.

Mutoh has come out with their latest maintenance station that I noticed they added a small piece to keep the pump hose from getting jammed in the pump gear. They also used better hoses and packed the pump with white lithium grease. So far so good as this pump has lasted me the longest. Of course I installed it so I did not give GEI Calgraph a chance to mess it up. The Mutoh prints well and I have no complaints when it is working.

The new ValuJet Mutoh has worked out most of the bugs but my advice would be to either learn how to take the thing part and put it back together and/or pay for the service contract. I feel that holds true for most printer today.

Jloz

Thank you!! I really appreciate any and all feedback. Do you wish that you would have when with an other printer?

gvgraphics

Loz

I use Sign warehouse for our equipment but DO NOT buy the q series or there brand cutters. The reason for this is their tech support is terrible. I had an issue with my old cutter, it was a belt issue, I called them and left multiple messages with no response. I posted it here and how bad they were and the head of tech support PM'ed me and I got a call within a few minuets of slamming their support on a public forum. If you buy name brand you will get that companies support which IMHO is much better.