• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Ink type question

sporgo

I have realized I am going to have to replace the head on my Rj900c whether I like it or not. Old head was clogged and leaking around the plate.

There seems to be some mixed info about what kind of ink is safe to use in this machine. Some people told me Eco solvent but others say this will damage the head and I need to use water based dye inks. For my purposes I don't think it matters much but I don't want to damage the machine or have further problems.

I Would also like to say thank you to those who took the time to provide me help on my other questions.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You don't want to use solvent ink in that machine for 2 main reasons. A lot of the parts won't be able to withstand the solvent inks washout failing and there are no heaters. Technically you could convert it to a solvent if you wanted to but it's not really worth it. I'd just stick with what you're already using.

sporgo

You don't want to use solvent ink in that machine for 2 main reasons. A lot of the parts won't be able to withstand the solvent inks washout failing and there are no heaters. Technically you could convert it to a solvent if you wanted to but it's not really worth it. I'd just stick with what you're already using.
I have been told that the DX5 head is the same. Some heads seem to be listed as "unlocked" but I don't know if that is relevant for my machine.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have been told that the DX5 head is the same. Some heads seem to be listed as "unlocked" but I don't know if that is relevant for my machine.
When the RJ-900 first came out, there were DX5 heads that had non-solvent resistant manifolds so if you put solvent through them, they would melt. At some point they just got rid of those and started putting solvent DX5 heads in them instead. So most, if not all, current RJ-900's do have solvent heads in them. There are other parts that can be melted by solvents though. If you really want to go solvent, look for a used VJ1204. It's an RJ-900 built specifically for solvent inks.

sporgo

I was told that the solvent melts the lacquer adhesive that holds the head plate and base plate in place. So if you use an original water based head with solevent it fails within weeks or months.

I have no particular use for solvent ink. It does not seem that installing a heater is that much of a project but it unnecessary for what I print. Most of this is new to me. All my past printing was so long ago that I do not recall there being so many options on ink.

netsol

you might want to speak to dave from solvent printer conversion

very knowledgeable about this sort of thing, he sells the "hot box" conversion kits, solvent resistant pumps

he has been a very big help to us

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
you might want to speak to dave from solvent printer conversion

very knowledgeable about this sort of thing, he sells the "hot box" conversion kits, solvent resistant pumps

he has been a very big help to us
Didn't know they were still around. They've been doing it for a long time!

netsol

yes, i still get get parts & often ink for my OLD rolands (FJ52)
it actually has surprisingly nice color, even though it is a little slower than commisioning an oil painting.