• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh rockhopper 38" mother boards keep blowing

COUNTYSIGNS

Ive got a tech working on the printer ---it started 3 weks ago i was performing maintenance station cleaning / head cleaning etc....was printing color ok .....next day --went to print and would only print black.....i found that the color side 20 amp fuse blew --- a tech walked me through jumping out the fuse.......with a jumper wire -----wasnt very good idea----the machine shut right down.... I disconnected jumper wire and machine was back to printing black only----tech came and swapped out board --- and blew his test board fuse.....he returned next day with board -- print cables going from mother board up to print head circuit board...and also color head......installed and we got a the "a" test printing with color---then we did what i believe was a nozzle check and when the print head went all the way over to the left to start printing test--it blew another board.....the technician now wants to replace cables again....and smaller cables going from print head to printhead circuit board--and the actual print head circuit board.......im not sure whats goin on ----------help help help help...my machine has been down for 3 weeks

THIS GUY IS A LOCAL TECH-- HE IS NOT PUTTING NEW BOARDS IN THIS WHENEVER HE PUTS THEM IN -- THEY ARE USED ONES -- IS THIS HIS FIRST MISTAKE --- ?

Last edited:

andy

The first thing I'd do is start measuring voltages..... most other sign making machinery works on plus or minus 5 volts.

I don't know about digital printers but pretty much all other types of machinery used in our industry work on +/- 5 volts. If your fuse keeps blowing then something in the circuitry has gone haywire and is probably over volting.... hence the fuse blowouts. Chuck a Fluke meter across a few connections and you'll soon see exactly what the voltages are.... if your Black side works then you have a know good which you can use to establish your benchmark.

I strongly suspect that your print head is faulty... changing motherboards and colour side fuses is a completely pointless exercise... until the print side fault is fixed you'll just keep blowing components for fun.

When your tech does start poking around on your print head side circuitry it's VITAL that you start with a known good motherboard. When components are swapped out these must be changed ONE at a time and checked before moving onto the next component. Unless your tech is planning to replace EVERYTHING forward of your colour fuse holder with brand new guaranteed working components then he has to work using a process of elimination. Ripping our cables and circuit boards willy nilly will not enable you to find the fault... you need to work in a logical sequential manner.

Jumping the fuse is utterly stupid.... a 10 pence fuse is telling you that there is something wrong with your circuitry..... you don't really need to double check this by hot wiring the same fault directly into your very expensive motherboard.

I would be watching your tech like a hawk.... it sounds like he doesn't really know what he's doing.

signage

This guy doesn't sound like a technician he sound more like a parts changer, guessing and changing parts hoping it is the correct one!

COUNTYSIGNS

He has replaced the color print head -- but with a used one -- he checked that used print head and its ok --- is there a particular print head for this model -- i do know that this tech works on indoor printers !!!! And the head is out of a mutoh line machine --- but im sure its from an indoor machine ---- any take on that ?

COUNTYSIGNS

How do you check to see if colour prit head is good

Is there an individual voltage test or something to check the head ?