• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Spitfire

Urban Image

This is actually my favorite printer right now. Expect a lot of praise here.

Durability of Prints
The mild solvent inks will give the typical 4 years without lamination (6 with lamination) and the Eco-Solvent set-up will give you the typical 3 years without lamination (5 with lamination). Not a whole lot to say here.

Print Quality

This printer has a maximum print resolution of 720x720 dpi. At this resolution it produces beautiful prints. You won’t see art reproductions or giclees being produced on the Spitfire but it is perfect for anything that will be viewed from more than 12 inches away. The 720x720 print mode has great image quality. The gamut is divine. On Eco inks you lose a bit of the pop in the color.

As a side note, from 2 feet away the prints at 720x720 dpi look just as good as the prints from the HP Z6100.

Print Speed

At 720x720 dpi the printer successfully hit the advertised maximum speed of 177 square feet per hour. At 360x360 dpi (“Billboard Mode”) we recorded it at a maximum speed of 377 square feet per hour.

Miscellaneous Rants

If you’re looking for photographic prints this printer won’t meet your needs.

Miscellaneous Raves

This printer is not a delicate machine. Its nickname around the office is “The Tank” and you understand why when you first stand in front of it. It is built as solid as a rock. It prints insanely fast at the print speeds you need. It is a machine that finally puts out what’s necessary without all the damned buzzwords and catch phrases. We also never had any firmware problems with it. We never had any problems with it. Necessary functions on the printer are very practical and easy to perform. It is a very production-minded machine.

Urban Image

MSRP for the Mutoh Spitfire Extreme 65" is $33,529 and it is sold by Mutoh Certified Resellers. I don't think Sign Warehouse sells it. I could be wrong.

There's also a 90" version. I'll have to look up the price on it.

MrKoob

Actually I think SW does have it or at least (1). I saw them with it at a show in Ft. Worth. Freakishly fast.

Urban Image

It's an awesome machine all around. It is so practical, too. That's the best part. So many printers have all these great features that are a pain to use or even basic functions take a lot of key punching. This printer is so straight-forward.

Urban Image

The 90" is $54,995.

Also, Carlos (coworker) went to Belgium and got to work with the 90" before it was released. He said it produced the same prints at the same resolution at (no exaggeration) double the speed. F**king amazing.

Last edited:

Urban Image

how does the blizzard rate against it?

Snapper

200409294363dq480.jpg

?

By the way, the Spitfire lays down prints with 5.4 picoliter dots. The HP Z6100, a 'photo quality printer', lays down CMYK in 6 picoliter dots.