• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help MUTOH VALUE JET 1624X COLOR BAND PRINT ERROR (PICTURES)

Adam White

Hello fellow sign makers. SEE PICTURES BELOW

I have a 4+ year old Mutoh Value Jet 1624x and have ran it beyond it's normal print head life.

Before I buy a new print head, is there anything I can do to remove these intermittent color print lines?

On closer inspection, it appears the Cyan and Magenta are the culprits here.

Any tips? Thank you in advance!
upload_2021-2-24_13-13-17.png

upload_2021-2-24_13-13-44.png

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That's a signal issue. Basically the signal that drives the head is getting corrupted somehow. Usually it's going to be a bad cable. Make sure to unplug the printer, push the power button a couple times, and then wait 15 minutes. Then unplug all the cables from the CR board (the one that is above the head area and travels with the carriage), and air dust the terminals. Check the head cables and trailing cables for any damage, ink splatter, or corrosion on the silver leads where they connect to the terminal. If you see any issues, replace them.

Unfortunately, like with most electrical issues, it could be the head, the cables, or a bad board but usually it's the cables or the head. One thing you can try is take the long top cover off and run a few jobs that way. The trailing cables will be exposed so be careful around it while it's printing. If the problem goes away, you probably need to change the trailing cables.

Last edited:

Roper1967

Looks like a cable issue. Turn off all power and unplug your head cables inspect wipe clean and re-insert and try a print . You can swap cables around if it does it on the Black and Cyan then you will know its a cable and not your expensive head.

Adam White

The head cables are quite small right? How do I "wipe clean" the head cables? I used canned air spray cleaner and it didn't solve the problem.
I'm getting print lines from all the colors now, although intermittently. I think it's the print head but I will try your suggestion again.

Would love any further tips on cleaning the head cables. I could send a picture of the print head so I could have further guidance on properly cleaning the print head cables.

Thanks for the help!

Adam White

Thanks for the comments. We were able to fix this problem by replacing the decoder strip and the CR motor. It was a process of elimination. We replace the CR Motor and it didn't solve the banding problem. But after replacing the docoder strip the problem was solved and the Mutoh Value Jet 1624x is running like brand new!