• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mutoh vj 1204 error68 cr encoder problem please help

fusion

hi I recently purchased a mutoh ValuJet 1204 as a back up machine. I did not get a chance to check it but know when powered on it has error 68 cr encoder.
I have replaced,
head carriage board
main board
encoder sensor
encoder strip

the carriage is nice and free it does not catch on anything.
the carriage belt is good.
the cr motor I have tested with a direct currant and it works perfect.

I have performed a sensor check all ok.

what am I missing.

guitarguy69

Did you check to make sure the CR Encoder strip is aligned? Sometimes if it's off by just a hair the sensor gets agitated and boom.
CR Encoder strip protective coating removed?
CR motor belt look ok?
Lastly, CR Encoder nice and tight?

Is it having the error at the same spot when this triggers?
Does it happen on power up, and cleaning, or just when printing?

fusion

mutoh 1204

it happens when the machine is turned on. it does not let me perform anything else.
the encoder is clean and the pertective film has been removed. the encoder strip is inline with the sensor i have tried moving the sensor but no luck. the errors will occure even if the carriage is moved left or right. the belt tention is good carriage moves free.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
edit>
Never mind I just re-read that you replaced the sensor.
>>
Have you cleaned the sensor?
It can get misted over with ink overspray or even a bit of lint can get in there.
I remove the sensor and take the edge of a credit card wrapped with a alcohol (watered down) swab and pass it back & forth in the gap that the encoder strip rides in.
Almost always shows ink residue.

wayne k
guam usa

henryp

the carriage twitches then the error code appears

this normally indicates that the printer is not receiving any feedback from the CR Encoder sensor, also check if the head lock mechanism is releasing the carriage when it is supposed to.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
From what I have seen in ValueJets, if the error occurs when you turn the machine on, 9 out of 10 times it is because the lock mechanism fails to unlock. The lock is below the left side of the print head carriage in it's home position. Tape it down and turn the machine on. If it works, it could be that the lock mechanism is bent too far to the left so the plunger can't hit it or the plunger is getting caught on something.

fusion

the encoder sensor is new and i have cleaned it many times but no luck. i have tried to move it just befor machines powers up but again no luck. the twitching happens even if the heads are away from the capping station. i first thought it was the lock even tried it pressed down but no joy

fusion

if i unplug the encoder then power the machine on the head carriage moves away from the calling station about 4cm then error codes appears.

guitarguy69

I am checking with a friend of mine who is a veteran Mutoh repair technician for any further advise, will post when I hear back from him. Don't light it on fire just yet.:banghead:

guitarguy69

[FONT=&quot]E068 on the 1204 is the carriage / head travel that doesn't match the encoder feed back to controller.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sensor, T-Fence, CR (Y) motor, drive belt, trailing cables that carry the signals, Main board, current draw[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]on power supply.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The maintenance / capping station is different than 1604s. With very little effort[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]it can ever so slightly rub the carriage cover - "IF" this is where error occurs [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]should be something closely inspected. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clean the X drive encoder - PF disc being dirty could be causing confusion to the servo circuitry.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Note "IF" the error occurs approximately same general area of travel. Check T-Fence. Or suspect[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]could be the trailing cables.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If possible place in 'maintenance mode' and run the CR endurance test.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A few years back had a 1204 not located in this service area needed a maintenance station . After that was replaced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]started having the E068 error intermittently, stopping in random spots.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Maintenance station was replaced, carriage replaced, CR motor / belt replaced, PF-motor replaced, main controller,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]power supply, trailing cables. Would run for awhile then E068 would reoccur.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Seemingly replacing the main board would resolve the problem for maybe a week, then E068 right back.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mutoh suggested that since the parts were replace one at a time possibly the course to resolving once and [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]for all would be to replace all suspect parts at once using a 'new' never fw updated ,main board.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After pricing out CR motor, carriage, T-fence, PF motor, power supply, trailing cables, maintenance station,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]and main board best I remember the unit was scrapped/ or sent back to mutoh?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not that you asked but the 1204 & 1304 were a low end, low usage printer. Seemed like once they had a few[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]miles on them or were moved around then they weren't as reliable.[/FONT]

fusion

thank you for that information
i really do not want to give up i always try my best to achieve.
i am going to give this 1 last shot and if it does not work then i will tie it to my jeep and ram it in a tree or blow it up.
thanks everyone for your input.

malav

Tremendoes Problems with my printer Mutoh ValueJet 1204

Hello Everyone,

I am in great need of help. We have a very small business operation and we use Mutoh ValueJet 1204 to print our signs. We have been having constant issues with our printer since December 2013 and our business is at stand still. I need serious help from all of you to get this fixed.

I am going to try and explain everything in here and then you guys can suggest what to do and how I can get my printer back functional.

The first time the problem started in December 2013: All our printer ink lines turned black and all the prints turned out black and white and no colors were printer. After that we contacted Sign Warehouse and they suggested to change the maintenance assembly and after doing that it started showing up serious Nosel Problems. At this time the nozel check was very poor it didnt show any colors and there was only black colors.

After this they suggested us to replace the dampers and we did get new dampers and after that the prints still are black and white and nozel check turns out really poor as well.

Here is what we have done so far to fix the issue

1) We tried auto refilling the ink after changing the dampers
2) We tried to pull the ink from the pipes and the dampers through the syringe and the ink was coming out ok from the pipes

After doing all this we still dont see the ink flowing properly in to the lines and the nozel check is still very poor. Test print is not proper as well. Please check some sample attached.

It has been over a month and we are having troubles with our business, this is a big issue for us and we are not getting enough help from Sign Warehouse as they seem to do a call with us for 10 mins and ask us to do something and then it gets pushed to the next day.

I wouldnt mind to pay for a service with a professional on Skype or even have someone fly here to fix the issues but this needs to be fixed as its my bread and butter.

Please help.

Thanks.