• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ-1624 can't get a clean nozzle check

JustASC

Hello! New to the forum, have lurked before.
I work with several printers at a print shop and my particular issue is with a Mutoh VJ-1624 not giving a clean nozzle check, specifically with Cyan and Magenta.

Some background info: I have noticed that Cyan seems to have had this issue a lot, on both the 1624 and the 1624x. If I'm printing a file with a lot of Cyan, I'm lucky to print one banner without getting banding before the end. Usually this has been fixable with a few cleans and then the issue repeats when I print another file(s) with a lot of Cyan. Doesn't happen for the other colours, though. I have changed the dampers for the 1624 three times in the past two years. While that did help a little the last two times, it's not helping now. And from what I've read, people seem to be able to go at least three years without changing the dampers.

These printers are left on constantly so that they are always able to automatically clean themselves. They are used five days a week, and I perform a nozzle check every day, so this issue certainly isn't happening from lack of use. In addition, I manually clean them every week (2-3 if we're very busy), flush the tubes at the capping station until they are clear.

As far as I can tell I'm doing everything right, so I don't understand why I'm continuing to get these issues. We replaced the print head only last month (after my boss suggested soaking the old one in cleaning solution over night, which destroyed it) and when I examined it, it's spotless.

So if it's not print head damage, and the printer is constantly in use, and it's at least semi-regularly cleaned, why can I not get a clean nozzle check now? I've manually cleaned it, I've done short automatic cleans, long automatic cleans, ink refills, changed the dampers, and I'm still getting broken horizontal lines in Cyan and Magenta, mostly the bottom and top lines. After I changed the dampers I did get a clean nozzle check after a few cleans, but then the issue returned before the end of day and hasn't improved since (2 days now).

I think that's all of the details. Hope someone can help!
Any tips are much appreciated, thank you in advance.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When was the last time you changed the cap top or maintenance station? If it's been over a year I would at least change the cap top and flush the waste tubes. If it is 2 or more years old, I would replace the whole thing. Also, what type of inks are you using and is it a bulk system or cartridges?

JustASC

When was the last time you changed the cap top or maintenance station? If it's been over a year I would at least change the cap top and flush the waste tubes. If it is 2 or more years old, I would replace the whole thing. Also, what type of inks are you using and is it a bulk system or cartridges?

Thanks for the reply!
I'm using cartridges and the ink is IRSP-EAG-C eco-solvent. We've definitely changed the maintenance station on one of the machines, but I can't remember if it was on this one, or on an old printer we no longer use. Is there a way to check to see if the cap top is the problem? If I know what I'm looking for I can take pictures and convince the company owner to order a new one.
Thanks again!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thanks for the reply!
I'm using cartridges and the ink is IRSP-EAG-C eco-solvent. We've definitely changed the maintenance station on one of the machines, but I can't remember if it was on this one, or on an old printer we no longer use. Is there a way to check to see if the cap top is the problem? If I know what I'm looking for I can take pictures and convince the company owner to order a new one.
Thanks again!

Since the problem happens on both the 1624 and 1624x in the same colors, I would suspect bad ink. I looked up that part number and it looks like pretty obscure 3rd party ink.

I would make sure the cap top, wiper, and bottom of the head is nice and clean. Then test the cap top. The cap top is part of the maintenance station and is where the head sits when it's not printing. To test it you need a syringe to hook up to the waste tubes. There are 2 waste tubes which are connected so you need to bend one shut and use some tape to keep it shut. Then hook the syringe up to the other tube and pull. You should get a good amount of suction and feel the plunger pulling back on you and then ink should flow down into the syringe. If you pull straight air with no resistance, the cap top is bad or something else might be breaking the seal between the cap top and head like ink build up on the head which is why you want it to be clean. If you pull and get tons of resistance but no ink flows, the station is clogged. Sometimes you can unclog it if needed but the older it is the more reason to change it completely.

If the cap top turns out to be good and ink is flowing properly through the station, I would move on to switching over to OEM ink cartridges to rule out the ink as the problem.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Since the problem happens on both the 1624 and 1624x in the same colors, I would suspect bad ink. I looked up that part number and it looks like pretty obscure 3rd party ink.

I would make sure the cap top, wiper, and bottom of the head is nice and clean. Then test the cap top. The cap top is part of the maintenance station and is where the head sits when it's not printing. To test it you need a syringe to hook up to the waste tubes. There are 2 waste tubes which are connected so you need to bend one shut and use some tape to keep it shut. Then hook the syringe up to the other tube and pull. You should get a good amount of suction and feel the plunger pulling back on you and then ink should flow down into the syringe. If you pull straight air with no resistance, the cap top is bad or something else might be breaking the seal between the cap top and head like ink build up on the head which is why you want it to be clean. If you pull and get tons of resistance but no ink flows, the station is clogged. Sometimes you can unclog it if needed but the older it is the more reason to change it completely.

If the cap top turns out to be good and ink is flowing properly through the station, I would move on to switching over to OEM ink cartridges to rule out the ink as the problem.

Great tutorial. Every Mutoh customer should master in this.