• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ 1624 Undefined Media Message

Todd Wigington

Old Wrap guys and Kids
I have a VJ 1624 and I am new to the Mutoh machine. It was printing great then all of a sudden I am getting the error "undefined Media". I cleaned the sensor and everything else and I still get the message. I rearranged the stock to the left and right thinking maybe that was it. The stock is 54" wide Orajet 3651G Clear. When my carriage goes across to initialize the stock width it now stops half way and them continues on? I don't remember it doing that before? What are my options?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There is a little oval shaped hole in back platen just under the pinch rollers. It's easier to see from the back. It's towards the left side of the machine. If that hole gets enough light in it, it thinks the vinyl is at the end of the roll. You can adjust the sensitivity of that sensor in the service menu but you can also just put some tape over the hole so no light can get in. This makes it so it never thinks it is at the end of the roll. You just have to be sure you don't let the vinyl run out. When that hole is not covered, by vinyl or tape, it thinks there is no media loaded which is why you get undefined media.

Todd Wigington

Old Wrap guys and Kids
Ok I just covered the oval hole and I still get the message? Is there a way to manually set the width for a job or turn off the media initialization? I use Flexi 12 and of course it tells the printer what to do.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There is no way to turn it off unfortunately. You might also need to clean the media width sensor. It's the sensor on the front left of the print carriage. Ink builds up and covers the optical sensor so it misses the edge of the material and can't measure.

Todd Wigington

Old Wrap guys and Kids
What do you use to clean it? 70 or 91% alcohol? or solvent clean? Weird huh? I am going to try and load the plain white 3651 back on as well and see what it does.

henryp

If the problem is with the rear media detection sensor, you will usually get an End of Roll message or something similar. The problem could more likely be the media edge detection sensor mounted on the left side of the carriage. You can temporarily bypass this sensor just to get you going if cleaning does not fix the problem. In the User Menu, set Media Initial to OFF, this setting will also allow you to manually input your media width.

Todd Wigington

Old Wrap guys and Kids
That is good idea. I thought there had to be a work around. I have been in the business for 18 years and have had many printers and this is the first Mutoh.

Attachments

• Media Sensor1.jpg
    Media Sensor1.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 1,206

thezigman

Sign maker near Chicago
Ive had it happen on mine a couple of times... I think the media was crooked to the point the machine could not detect the RH edge. It travels about half way to the left looking for it.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If the problem is with the rear media detection sensor, you will usually get an End of Roll message or something similar. The problem could more likely be the media edge detection sensor mounted on the left side of the carriage. You can temporarily bypass this sensor just to get you going if cleaning does not fix the problem. In the User Menu, set Media Initial to OFF, this setting will also allow you to manually input your media width.

I haven't been working on these new Mutohs that much (good sign for Mutoh) I didn't realize they had that feature. Thanks for the update!

Chris1213

In addition to suggestions above, consider recalibrating the edge detection sensor for the specific media installed. Most media detection sensors have trouble registering clear substrates until this is done. Changes in ambient lighting conditions, etc can also error despite the same media being used all along.

instructions attached.