• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh VJ 628 Changing cap top

GrahamT

Im just about to change the cap top as I have some missing black nozzles and wondering how I go about flushing the pump tubes whilst im changing the cap top.

The waste ink is hard to get the drain started I have been getting a syringe and pulling the ink out of the drain tube to get a flow started but even then it just sees to very slowly trickle out so I guess flushing the pump tubes may help ?

Many Thanks.

Graham

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When you take the cap top off it will expose the tubes connected to it. They are just friction fit so you just pull the tubes off the cap top. Try to grab as close to the cap top as possible as to not stretch the tubes too far. Then I use a tapered syringe with cleaning solution, stick it in the tube, and push the solution through.

GrahamT

When you take the cap top off it will expose the tubes connected to it. They are just friction fit so you just pull the tubes off the cap top. Try to grab as close to the cap top as possible as to not stretch the tubes too far. Then I use a tapered syringe with cleaning solution, stick it in the tube, and push the solution through.
Thank you very much for your help, really appreciated. I have now replaced the cap top and run the solution through the lines I have also run a couple of cleans and run a print 100% k but I'm still getting a few missing black nozzles a very slight improvement but not perfect. Is this something that will improve over time as I run more prints or should I start seeing better results almost straight away ?

Thanks
Graham

Saturn

Aging Member
I'd take the pump off and really sit down with it for a while and push and pull fluid through it with a syringe.

GrahamT

I'd take the pump off and really sit down with it for a while and push and pull fluid through it with a syringe.
Thanks Saturn, what's the best way to do that ?I've attached a pic of the pump and what result I got from the nozzle check ( was slightly worse from leaving it over night )

I can unscrew the 2 screws and detach the pump quite easily from the base of the printer but where do I go from there ?

I have been filling the cap top with solution and running a couple of light cleans to try and get the solution circulating round the pump for now from what I can see it seems to be running to the pump ok

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 230
  • Nozzle Check.jpg
    Nozzle Check.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 147

Saturn

Aging Member
If you unhook the pump entirely, by removing the two hoses and the electrical clip, you should be able to stick a tapered syringe in one side and gently squirt/squeeze fluid through the other. I'm not positive the internals of the pump can handle really strong pressures, or from both sides, so go gentle. It may be that your pump is fine, but since it's not hard to remove it's worth a shot. With gloves on over a waste pail works great.

I'd also syringe fluid directly through the waste hoses into the waste tank just to confirm they're as clear as you can get them.

If it's the same exact nozzles that are staying clogged after repeated cleaning and flushing, that could be a sign there's more at work than just the pump. :(

What's the history of the printer, how old is it, did you buy it used, or has it just sat more days than it's run? Those things can help some of the folks on here offer advice too.

GrahamT

If you unhook the pump entirely, by removing the two hoses and the electrical clip, you should be able to stick a tapered syringe in one side and gently squirt/squeeze fluid through the other. I'm not positive the internals of the pump can handle really strong pressures, or from both sides, so go gentle. It may be that your pump is fine, but since it's not hard to remove it's worth a shot. With gloves on over a waste pail works great.

I'd also syringe fluid directly through the waste hoses into the waste tank just to confirm they're as clear as you can get them.

If it's the same exact nozzles that are staying clogged after repeated cleaning and flushing, that could be a sign there's more at work than just the pump. :(

What's the history of the printer, how old is it, did you buy it used, or has it just sat more days than it's run? Those things can help some of the folks on here offer advice too.
Thank you will give that a try.

Yes seems to be the same nozzles unfortunately.

It's just over 2 years old from new, its used as a side business so used around once or twice a week. On the occasions i dont have any work I at least run a nozzle check and a light clean once a week.

Nanci

VJ 1624X here. 5 yes old. My black nozzle check has looked like that for a few years. Prints fine. Just had a new maintenance station professionally installed. We both agreed it was a non issue. Prints are fine. You can be missing a few nozzles still ok.

Saturn

Aging Member
You might also remove and shake the all the ink cartridges really good, if you haven't been doing that.

VJ 1624X here. 5 yes old. My black nozzle check has looked like that for a few years. Prints fine. Just had a new maintenance station professionally installed. We both agreed it was a non issue. Prints are fine. You can be missing a few nozzles still ok.
I personally feel like any missing nozzles are usually noticeable in prints... My eyes are pretty bad on their own, but there's been plenty of times where I've caught light banding and it was a single nozzle. This is on both my old 628 and my current S80600. I'm always a little shocked at some of the nozzle checks I see posted and folks say, "Works just fine!"

GrahamT

You might also remove and shake the all the ink cartridges really good, if you haven't been doing that.

I personally feel like any missing nozzles are usually noticeable in prints... My eyes are pretty bad on their own, but there's been plenty of times where I've caught light banding and it was a single nozzle. This is on both my old 628 and my current S80600. I'm always a little shocked at some of the nozzle checks I see posted and folks say, "Works just fine!"
The ink carts have not long been replaced all Original Mutoh ink. Yes I see a tiny bit of banding but after I print just over 50cm or so it seems to improve , I have been getting some great results printing black without any banding turning profiles off in onyx and Printing 100k on the fuzz 1 setting as with the profiles on it prints a 4 colour CMYK black that doesn't look as rich. - I can't manually edit individual colours(colour replacement) within the rip in the version of onyx I have so this works well for jobs which are mostly black only.

The nozzle checks after quite a bit of printing seem to improve slightly like they're almost trying to come back. I have poured solution in the cap top and let the head sit on it for a few hours but this didn't improve.

The waste ink tank still doesn't seem to want to drain on its own when I try to empty it into a bottle I still have to pull it out with a syringe.

Im just waiting to get a tapered syringe so it fits in the lines better and will try some more things once that has arrived.

Thanks

Saturn

Aging Member
The waste ink tank still doesn't seem to want to drain on its own when I try to empty it into a bottle I still have to pull it out with a syringe.
Assuming the captop is making a good seal, you can tell if the pump is working fine by filling the cap top with cleaning fuild to the brim, and then running a short clean. If it all gets sucked right out, then you're good. If after cleaning there's still a pool of fluid sitting there, then that means either the drain hoses or pump are clogged.

I wouldn't worry about the actual tank drain tube just yet, unless you think it's truly fill to overflowing and you need to get it emptied.