• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mutoh VJ1204 'E068' error - I've replaced everything

Carolina Girl

I received a Mutoh VJ1204 large format printer for free, knowing that it was 'broken'. Previous owners didn't want to pay to have it fixed so I figured since I had some technical knowledge, I'd be able to work on it in my spare time.

The error I get is "E068: CR Encoder" Knowing that this had something to do with the carriage return's position, I booted the printer into diagnostics mode and checked the CR sensor, and sure enough it was reading 0000 even when I moved the carriage.
So the first thing I did, was I replaced the CR encoder itself. Didn't work. So I replaced the CR board. Nothing. Then I replaced the motherboard- nothing, control board, CR cables, CR motor, Relay board, T fence, CR encoder again, and here I am, stuck with the same error.

What in the world could it be? What have I not replaced or messed up in my diagnostics? Is there something I'm missing? Something I should try? Thank you for your time.

Ere

What about the encoder sensor? Does it have a calibration for the encoder? Try calibrating other things too. I don’t know this brand but I know on others sometime the errors are misleading.

Browndog10

I had the same issue with mine that was flushed but sat for a few years. I cleaned everything in the mechanism very well and that seemed to work for me. It took me a few hrs to get the gunk to soften and removed. Might be worth a shot, if you haven’t already done so.

henryp

It seems you have replaced just about everything to fix this error as per attached troubleshooting guide

Attachments

• ice_screenshot_20190708-105853.png
    ice_screenshot_20190708-105853.png
    250 KB · Views: 447

Binker

You've probably done this, but check the belt tension, I had one which would throw that code....tightened the belt - fixed!

GTSTech_1

Check the plunger....aka locking pin. Ink builds up and restricts the plunger from going down or unlocking the carriage and will give the 068 error message.Remove it and give it a good cleaning (It's a single screw that hold the bracket) Also over time the plunger will be slightly bent, straighten it up and see if that helps get past the error.

Just my .02