• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh xpertjet1641sr

Firefighter30

Need help installed a new head in my xpertjet 1641 sr and put new head cables in everything is hooked up right but when I turn on the printer I get the e085 error code for head heat. I did a few steps from what solvent inkjet.com told me but they were stumped and they are waiting to hear back from Mutoh anyone have any ideas what may be wrong?

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
E085 means the main board can't communicate properly with the print head. Normally this is because either a Head Cable or CR Cable is not plugged in correctly and pins get crossed. Make sure that the corner of the ribbon cables are not folded over in anyway as this will cause misalignment of the pins. Also double check that you didn't accidentally plug the cables into the wrong spot on the print head. Unfortunately if they were plugged in wrong it can actually cause damage to the print head and main board and you may have to replace them again.

Firefighter30

I i
E085 means the main board can't communicate properly with the print head. Normally this is because either a Head Cable or CR Cable is not plugged in correctly and pins get crossed. Make sure that the corner of the ribbon cables are not folded over in anyway as this will cause misalignment of the pins. Also double check that you didn't accidentally plug the cables into the wrong spot on the print head. Unfortunately if they were plugged in wrong it can actually cause damage to the print head and main board and you may have to replace them again

I did call a local tech he told me to put the old head back in and see if the error persists I did put the the old head back in and same thing he told me it is likely the cr board at this point heck I don’t know

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
CR board is a pass thru board. It almost never causes issues. Can you post close up pictures of the connectors on the head cables? The metal contact points are glued down and that glue wears out over time and it can cause the metal to lift up and shift. Why were you replacing the print head in the first place? Were you having E085 errors before you took the old head out originally?

Firefighter30

CR board is a pass thru board. It almost never causes issues. Can you post close up pictures of the connectors on the head cables? The metal contact points are glued down and that glue wears out over time and it can cause the metal to lift up and shift. Why were you replacing the print head in the first place? Were you having E085 errors before you took the old head out originally?

The old head was missing nozzles and I was told it’s to far gone to fix it. I had no errors before the head swap. I did put the old head back in and it’s still giving me the same error so it must be something with the cr board or the main board. Fuse possibly?

I did closely inspect them even with a magnifying glass no issues with the cables. The technician did tell me that it is very common for the cr board to go bad if something happens within the head I don’t know if I should believe him or not.

Attachments

• DE79C187-9BF3-4CFA-AE2F-C45BF950CC28.jpeg
    DE79C187-9BF3-4CFA-AE2F-C45BF950CC28.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
  • E2A44C9C-D4F3-410C-AEF3-8A543AC106B2.jpeg
    E2A44C9C-D4F3-410C-AEF3-8A543AC106B2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Did you follow the folds in the old cables? It is very easy to mess up the order of the head cables if you don't fold them properly and this would cause your issue. Can you take a picture a little further away showing the folds you did?

Firefighter30

I check the fcc cables to the head all are in correct position according to diagram and the way the old cables were installed. The tech got back to me in my email and told me to check the fuses but have no idea on the board where the head fuse would be located.
image.jpg

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
I would say that something was done wrong with the head cables, can you post pictures showing how the folds were done? A bad fuse will not cause an E085 error message but they should still be checked once you get past this error as an E085 is normally caused by something that can fry fuses. The fuse should be to the right of the black heat sink. I have circled the area as well as two other fuses you can check.
fuse location.png

Firefighter30

I didn’t bend them yet but i did go off the old cables and how they were inserted. So I know the cables are in the right slots according to the Manuel and everything. But I’m so lost I checked the fuses they are fine. I did talk with a technician they want 600 bucks just to come out and look at it and plus parts and more labor. They said either the cr board or the fcc cable from the cr board to the main board is their guess
14E7A378-0CCA-4303-802F-2464EE04A4AA.jpeg

Attachments

• C44B14A0-4341-4A34-B879-D3D94FB299CA.jpeg
    C44B14A0-4341-4A34-B879-D3D94FB299CA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 82

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
In the fold closest to the print head did you fold each cable individually or all 4 together? It needs to be folded all 4 together to keep the order correct.

Firefighter30

All cables are in the right spot and in the correct order im about ready to give up at this point now I have to pay a service tech over 700 bucks just to come look at it diagnose it. They said it might be the cr board or the fcc cable from the cr board to the main board.
1D13359B-1E20-4128-A65B-7B851338768A.jpeg
A4D88D9B-5AD6-4D96-811F-CADEA712CDAB.jpeg

Firefighter30

So long story short I put the old head in again and old cables still did the same error code guess I’m going to put a cr board in and see if that fixes it

Red Alpha

So long story short I put the old head in again and old cables still did the same error code guess I’m going to put a cr board in and see if that fixes it
Hello, I'm having some issues with my 1641Sr printer. I'm not getting an error code but there is nothing coming out of the print head. I checked the ribbon cables and they are good but was thinking about checking the fuses. Do you have a pic of where the head fuse is located?