• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh XPJ1641SR Pro over spray issues

afasselt

Printer Technician
Hello all,

I just started working for a graphics company this year and do not know much about the industry and need some help on an issue.

My company recently purchased a Mutoh XPJ1641SR Pro and I am having an issue that every time I print it leaves an overspray of ink dots/satellites primarily around the printed image but sometimes even on the image itself. If I do 2-3 cleaning cycles it seems to clear most of the overspray but not all of it. (I have attached photos of the overspray)

I have also tested printing on different films but still have the same issue with all of them.

If anyone might know why this is happening or at least has some information on that printer I would greatly appreciate the support.

Attachments

• 129.jpeg
    129.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 265
  • 131.jpeg
    131.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20220602_114830254_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220602_114830254_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 132

afasselt

Printer Technician
rjssigns: I don't believe it's a hair/lint. I have manually cleaned the head and surrounding area with solvent cleaner several times. (the printer is a solvent-based printer)
I will check and see though to make sure.
Also, I am getting a great nozzle check every time.

Solventinkjet: It should not be the nip rollers because it's a brand new printer that I just finished installing. But I will check them just to make sure.

rjssigns

rjssigns: I don't believe it's a hair/lint. I have manually cleaned the head and surrounding area with solvent cleaner several times. (the printer is a solvent-based printer)
I will check and see though to make sure.
Also, I am getting a great nozzle check every time.

Solventinkjet: It should not be the nip rollers because it's a brand new printer that I just finished installing. But I will check them just to make sure.
You would be surprised at the stuff that you think you cleaned but is still hanging on. Stupid bright light and an inspection mirror are handy for finding tiny specks of dirt.

Only other thing is are you using bags or carts? If its carts I had an issue with my Roland where it would randomly barf ink on a print.
Cause was pressure in the cart that shouldn't have been there. Tech said to do this three times: remove the cart, gently shake then put back in.

If you're running bags the bag should be collapsing evenly.

afasselt

Printer Technician
You would be surprised at the stuff that you think you cleaned but is still hanging on. Stupid bright light and an inspection mirror are handy for finding tiny specks of dirt.

Only other thing is are you using bags or carts? If its carts I had an issue with my Roland where it would randomly barf ink on a print.
Cause was pressure in the cart that shouldn't have been there. Tech said to do this three times: remove the cart, gently shake then put back in.

If you're running bags the bag should be collapsing evenly.
Ah yes thank you for the tool recommendation, a mirror would really help :). I will investigate the head and see if there is any dust or anything on it. For ink we use the bagged and I will check if they uniformly flatten.

afasselt

Printer Technician
Thank you all for the tips and help. My company decided to return the printer so I will no longer be working on it.