• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My first newbie question - speed and detail questions

LaserImage

The plotter I got came with some end-rolls of vinyl. I don't know how old they are, but I guess that might matter.

My questions are:
How detailed can I get? What would be the smallest point size font you could expect to cut? I know a different font will make a difference in cut, but lets say you used Impact - what would be the smallest you would cut?

As for speed, how do you know when you are too fast? I am seeing small corners and points sticking up after a plot - is this from being too fast, dull blade or old vinyl? Or some combination of the three?

Can anyone recommend a dvd or book or something for a complete newbie? I know Corel X3 fairly well, I am in need of the basics for plotting and applying vinyl. Fortunately I have laser/dye sub/sand carving to make money while I work on this craft but I would like to do it with the help of some training, if possible. I saw a training site, they charge something like 20k for 5 people to train. I am sure it's well worth the money, but it's just me and I don't think I'll do 20k in vinyl this year - total! This is just an add-on to my business, not my sole business.

Thanks in advance!

Gary

Flame

I'd say the corners are from a dull blade, and quite possibly too much speed. 30 IPS is all you really need, these machines boasting twice that much....... wow.... seriously, you don't need it.

But I'd check the blade first. I always keep a few around, because you never know....

I doubt it's because of the old vinyl.

As far as a training DVD... not that I know of. You could do it the old fashioned way though, like I did, sit down and start playing/ practicing stuff. Trial and error, and lots of questions to guys on here.

Best of luck and welcome to Signs101!!!

belongie

Lifting corners.....My guess is deffinately dull blade, and possibly too fast. I know that in the beacon graphics catalog there are some training videos, but I haven't tried any of them. As Flamey said, practice. I did a lot of trial and error. At times it was frustrating, but I got it now, and it was worth it. I love what I do! If I have an issue, the first thing I do is check the blade.
Good luck, and post here! Lot's of good info.

If there are any typoes, I blame it on the :beer Thursday is my only night out, I dj on the weekends. It is not time wasted tho, as I just got a double sided backlit job from the bar owner. Always working:wink:
sorry, kind of a :thread

Timothy Davis

Get new vinyl and replace the blade. Set the blade depth when you replace the blade to the point that the blade just barely has it's tip showing. Then test cut. Use very little down force at first and increase it or adjust the blade so that after you weed and remove your test cut from the backing the backing paper is just barely scored.

Hope that makes since.