• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My Golden Egg of the Day

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
My wholesale customer has been struggling for the past two or three years and calls me to let me know he's letting me have all his clients that I had been servicing through him. This aspect of his business had been dragging him away from his more profitable areas and things were beginning to fall through the cracks. Since I had managed some of his larger projects, those customers were already beginning to bypass him to deal directly with me.

I stopped by today and carted out a box of approx. 50 file folders full of past jobs and pricing information from him, and some of my regional competitors.

It's an absolute mess to sort through, but a treasure trove of insight...even with all the mouse droppings.

Over the next few days I'll be making telephone calls and sending out letters to introduce myself, and put out any fires that may have been started with his business.

Any parting words of wisdom as I forge ahead?

JB​

James Burke

Don't forget to properly "Thank" him. Take good care of the goose that lays the golden egg.

I've been mulling that one over.

How ironic. The goose that lays the golden egg also craps. Both the egg and the crap exit the same orifice. And believe me, I've been crapped on plenty by this customer over the years. How's that for a barnyard analogy?

I came close to firing him earlier this year, but they've been doing fine on COD. I've found that I just had to drag my heels with their work. When I drag my heels, their customers have a way of applying the needed pressure to make them act. So far I haven't been able to work that miracle. Anyway, he shows up with a check in hand and I can sleep peacefully because of it.

They've gotten their busiess into a real spot and its hard to say just which way they'll fall.

I am thinking of holding back on any type of commission until I can get the accounts sorted out and find out who's still on board, and how they pay.

Jim

SignosaurusRex

Well then.....maybe it's finally payday for shoveling the barn floor. Next task...mending fence and tending the new gaggle.

Locals Find!

Send him a card and gift at christmas, base the value of the gift on what your able to get out of those files. Gives you plenty of time to see what you really got.

10sacer

Just so I am clear... you are a wholesale provider who was actively letting your customer's clients go around him and straight to you before the goose laid the egg?

James Burke

Just so I am clear... you are a wholesale provider who was actively letting your customer's clients go around him and straight to you before the goose laid the egg?

Here's where it gets a little tricky, so I'll give you the Reader's Digest "military" version:

#1) The client (a military branch) had issues over terms with my customer (a veteran).

#2) On a subsequent job, the client comes directly to me stating that they still had no resolve with the customer over said issue with the main job.

#3) At the time of request for subsequent job, the customer still owed me $3,000 in labor and materials...for the main job we originally did for the client.

#4) Shortly thereafter, I became caught in the crossfire and was not getting any resolve with my customer.

#5) The client approached me first. We compared "battle" stories and then did business, and he paid me upon delivery.

#6) Customer's deriliction of duty (non-payment) for the main job lasted six painful months.

#7) I briefed the customer that his client was now coming to me, and that's all that was said.

The customer knew full well that my new relationship with his client was his fault.

JB