• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My Mutoh VJ1624 is coming up short.... Please Help!!!

RyanFelty

Okay, so my Mutoh has always come up a little short on banners on our banner setting but nothing drastic so we did not adjust. All other materials have always been spot on. Now, my vinyl prints are coming up short...the longer the print the bigger the difference and width-wise it is dead on. I have gone through the calibration process with the vinyl loaded and it is showing that it is short. I then plug in the size like it says to do in the manual and then the test print comes out the same...short. I have a big job coming up that requires a bunch of 10' x 2' panels (vinyl mount to alumilite) to butt up against each other and I am trying to get this fixed before printing the panels. I have not changed the rollers in a while so I just ordered some. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The new rollers should help a little especially if the old ones were really worn down or dirty.

Did you also run the micro pf adjustment? I would run that before anything else to make sure the PF is spot on. Then double check that the RIP is not overriding the PF adjustment. If all of that looks good, there is a tolerance on these machine as to how accurate they are in the feed direction. I don't have the specs in front of me but it is something like +/- an 8th inch over 8 ft. If you are within that, the printer is working as it should.

I assume you are using the Flexi RIP that comes with the machine. Flexi has a print size compensation function that exists for this issue specifically. It prints out a square and you measure it, and input that measurement into Flexi and it compensates. It should be in the manual. Please note, every different roll of material you use will feed differently through the machine and may require different PF settings etc. That is why they give you the media type presets to save those settings in.

RyanFelty

Thank you VanderJ for your reply. The new rollers are on their way. I did run the micro pf adjustment that was the test I was talking about in my post (I forgot what it was called). I would then change it on the Mutoh screen and do another test and it would not change. We run all of our printers off Onyx so it is not running off of Flexi. Do you think I should just wait for the rollers to come and see if that changes anything? Thanks again VanderJ for your reply!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You need to run the main PF adjustment first and then the micro adjustment to fine tune it. The main PF adjustment prints 2 lines 500mm away from each other. You measure the actual distance and then input that into the printer. Then you can run the confirm print to see if it adjusted properly. Sometimes you need to do it a couple times to get it perfect. Then you can run the micro adjustment to get it spot on. The main PF adjustment should help the most with the size issue and the micro just makes the prints look smoother.

RyanFelty

Thanks Vander. So I am doing the PF adjustment and setting it to print 17 23/32. The print is coming out 17 18/32. I type in what the print comes out to into the initial change and then do the confirmation print. The confirmation print is then coming out to like 31" something. I am boggled at this point. Sorry to keep beating this thread.