• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help mystery - Mimaki JV150 - head stutters, stalls and then shoots across the media

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
Hi, We've got a really weird situation with our 6 month old JV150-160. We have an awesome tech but unfortunately due to our location (Hawaii) it's pretty much phone support only and he's working on it but stumped. We're stumped and in a bind as our second printer (roland XC540 was also having some problems which need to be fixed and we were relying on this printer...)

1. During the night the printer did a self cleaning and the carriage stalled in the middle of the media.

2. Powered on the printer the next morning and the carriage returned to the capping station and when we tried to do acquire the media width for a roll the carriage left the capping station, stuttered left to right a few times and went crashing, full warp speed, back into the capping station. I had no idea the carriage could even move this fast.

3. Now when we power on the printer it will at some point always start to stutter like crazy and then the head will generally shoot at full speed to the left or right either crashing into the far left stop or the capping station depending on which way it's going causing a media jam or possibly y-current error (this seems to depend on where it stalls out and takes off from). Generally the head leaves the capping station okay but occasionally it even gets stuck there. This seems to occur randomly anywhere along the rail. Sometimes it will coast to a stop farther down the rail and then the printer thinks a bit and then slowly returns the head to the capping station.

4. At first we couldn't even get through a media set up but now we can generally get through that plus a test print but after 1 pass on a print cycle it will stutter and go crazy. We did all the of the below and swapping the y-motor seemed to have the most improvement but we might just be imagining things.

5. We've already tried the following tests and part swaps (we have several mimaki's):
-checked the pulleys and belt, both visually as well as removing them, they run smooth and it's not skipping
-every maintenance panel on the printer has been removed so that we can make sure that the head isn't hitting anything that we're just missing.
-lubricated the linear bearings that the carriage is mounted on and at first we thought this was what it was but it seems nice and smooth even when we move the carriage by hand rapidly side to side.
-removed and cleaned the encoder (which looked clean to begin with) as well as blowing out the sensor
-swapped out the home sensor with a new one
-swapped out the Y-motor with one from another newish Mimaki
-unplugged and reseated the control cables (not sure what to call it, it's the main harness on the carriage board) on both the carriage and main board side
-tried running the print at normal speed (versus the default high)
-our tech mentioned that there was supposed to be a ferrite bead on the y-motor (none of our Mimaki's appear to have this) so we wrapped the y-motor leads in aluminum foil as we didn't have a ferrite
-did a through capping station alignment to make sure that that wasn't the issue

We're really not sure what to do next. We might start swapping out boards from another printer but this has us completely stumped. Any help would be really appreciated!!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It has to be electrical or corrupted Firmware. I would upgrade the Firmware to it's latest version first and see how that affects it.

If nothing changes, I would put my money on bad main board. When an encoder strip or sensor goes bad, you either get motor over-current errors and the motor just completely stops or you get printing anomalies like stair stepping and streaking. The fact that the head shudders and then moves faster than normal and doesn't stop when it should tells me that the board controlling the motor current is malfunctioning which happens to be the main board. The fact that there isn't a ferrite clamp on the motor cables could be the issue as well and you should pick one up and put it on just in case as it is much cheaper than replacing the main board.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
Thanks for the reply. I was leaning that way as well as there doesn't seem to be any physical reason for the stuttering.

We get all of our ink and rushed supplies from you btw, thanks for running such a great site.