• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Named Color Replacement to PMS in Onyx Thrive

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
A little back story, our shop is completely new to Onyx and we have seemed to run into a bit of a snag on our end. Everything below we do in the Job Editor Tab and not the Layout Tab.

What we want to do, as the operators use this on their old RIP (TexPrint); is after color matching a color, save it into a color collection. Then whenever we receive a job from that particular client we want to be able to pick the color that we want, say Home Depot Orange, sample that color, go to color collection, and then select our matched Home Depot Orange. We want to be able to do this without having to go into the file and changing the spot color name to our designated one.

The problem we are facing is, I can find my color collections and the colors we have matched in the previous week, but we can't find a way to call them up from collections to change the color in the file. We also find it a bit odd that you can't even change a color to a PMS color, at least that we have found. I did a bit of looking and I believe that what happens on a named spot color, is that the RIP will just automatically change the named spot color to the color that is referenced in the Color Management Table.

I hope this makes sense to people, if not please ask any clarifying questions.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Sorry I can't help with that, but I'll be following.

We also spend way too much time with Onyx color/named color replacements and I'd love to streamline this process moving forward.

Adam Vreeke

In my experience, it's all about color values (this is onyx production or whatever, not thrive), so for instance I have one set for RGB black > CMYK black. Whenever onyx recieves a file from a particular salesman that hasn't grasped that concept, instead of printing 'rich black' as some say, it automatically detects that black value and replaces it with 100%K.
We are talking 'color corrections', not 'color collections', right?
I am talking about color collections

ikarasu

Not exactly what you want ..

But you can create a spot color called "HDOrange" and then tell onyx to always change hdorange to a particular cmyk value. Same with pantones.. you can color match pantone 032, then tell onyx to always use those values for pantone 032.

That's the "proper" way to do it.

A bit more like your way, but I think would be more confusing. You can do a color change under color picker... Export your settings and then import them to your quickset. Then all your color changes will be saved when you goto the color editor - you can then click any source color and it'll change it. But once you get a dozen or so colors trying to remember what each color is will be a pain in the butt

ikarasu

So, you should always be working with Pantones. As much as I hate Pantone right now...a referenceable color system is god like in our industry. This first way will always replace a pantone you tell it to.

In onyx, Click Setup > Rip Configuration, color matching Table.

Click Print Mode defined colors - Click add, Type in the Pantone name, IE: "PANTONE 875 C" Then Type in the value you want it to always use for Pantone 875 C. Now whenever you have that print mode / media selected...it'll always change.

Thats the "proper" way to do it, As far as I Can tell - It's the most easiest way at least. You can add "HDorange" And make a spot color HDorange in your file and it'll always change it as well...we do it for a few customers whos colors dont match a pantone.

The second way, which is more to how you want it...

Open up the file you want to change in Job editor. Click Color Correction > tools > Color Replacements. Select the color you want to replace with the Eyedropper... enter the value you want to change it to. Do this for as many colors as the document has -

Then Click Filter > Manager, Select the filter name and click export. Save it somewhere you'll remember.

Now click edit quicksets - You'll have to do this for every quickset you use. Click Advanced > Color correction > Import, and import that file.

Now every time you open up a new file... those color settings will be under the color correction tab, you can just click the eyedrop tool and select a new source. I don't believe you can name them though...so this way might work for a half dozen color corrections, but it might be a pain in the butt if you have dozens or hundreds and you have to remember what CMYK value is close.

Again.. not exactly what youre asking for, but hopefully one of those 2 ways helps out

Adam Vreeke

So, you should always be working with Pantones. As much as I hate Pantone right now...a referenceable color system is god like in our industry. This first way will always replace a pantone you tell it to.

In onyx, Click Setup > Rip Configuration, color matching Table.

Click Print Mode defined colors - Click add, Type in the Pantone name, IE: "PANTONE 875 C" Then Type in the value you want it to always use for Pantone 875 C. Now whenever you have that print mode / media selected...it'll always change.

Thats the "proper" way to do it, As far as I Can tell - It's the most easiest way at least. You can add "HDorange" And make a spot color HDorange in your file and it'll always change it as well...we do it for a few customers whos colors dont match a pantone.

The second way, which is more to how you want it...

Open up the file you want to change in Job editor. Click Color Correction > tools > Color Replacements. Select the color you want to replace with the Eyedropper... enter the value you want to change it to. Do this for as many colors as the document has -

Then Click Filter > Manager, Select the filter name and click export. Save it somewhere you'll remember.

Now click edit quicksets - You'll have to do this for every quickset you use. Click Advanced > Color correction > Import, and import that file.

Now every time you open up a new file... those color settings will be under the color correction tab, you can just click the eyedrop tool and select a new source. I don't believe you can name them though...so this way might work for a half dozen color corrections, but it might be a pain in the butt if you have dozens or hundreds and you have to remember what CMYK value is close.

Again.. not exactly what youre asking for, but hopefully one of those 2 ways helps out
Thanks for the info Ikarasu. I was thinking those are the only ways. I do the spot color change myself for my Mimaki, unfortunately we have some newer graphic designers here that are not adhering well to that system, so I usually have to make those changes. But I am very familiar with Adobe Suite programs and can make that change. Mix that with what the operators are used to and it hasn't been a very clean switch to say the least.

Thanks again for the info and I suppose I will have to get some sort of system in check here.

One quick question though, for my RasterLink RIP, whenever I change a named spot color and add it into the color collections book, the RIP automatically changes the color to the defined color regardless of what icc profile I use. Will this happen in Onyx as well?