• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need adhesive ideas for foam PVC

I have a customer that is looking to have us replace some foam PVC signage for a motel that they are in the process of fixing up. The Motel 6 sign is 1/8" PVC mounted onto a solid, flat surface, which is the fixture that you can see a portion of in the photo. It appears the original Motel 6 sign was mounted to the fixture with spray adhesive, which has long since cured and I wasn't planning on trying to remove any of the old spray adhesive post-removal, just peeling off the old sign and bonding the new sign in place of it with several strips of double-sided banner tape. The sign is only approximately 18" x 18", so it's not heavy.

The second sign is the one shown in the remaining three photos, which is a 2" thick sign that is also made from 1/8" thick foam PVC. The sign they have now is 18" x 24", but they want the new one to be larger, at 30" x 24", so I'd like to make sure that whatever adhesive I use to glue that one together lasts many years and will have a strong bond. I'm thinking cyanoacrylate (super glue) would work for that one, but I'd like to hear of any other suggestions that you all might have for either of these.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20221007_083920.jpg
    20221007_083920.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 210
  • 20221007_084225.jpg
    20221007_084225.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 20221007_084235.jpg
    20221007_084235.jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20221007_084239.jpg
    20221007_084239.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 101

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Lexel seems to be the go to adhesive for signs. I prefer something that sets faster but it does work well. You should probably rough up the back of the PVC a little so it has a little bite

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
What about PVC cement? Apparently Oatley (pipe glue guys) make a clear although I don't think I have seen it where I am in Canada. That would weld the parts together.

Precision

VHB Tape in the corners and a couple of pieces in middle depending on the sign size, then apply blobs of silicone when installing.

The VHB tape will hold it in place, while the silicone sets up. Hope this helps.

Johnny Best

VHB Tape in the corners and a couple of pieces in middle depending on the sign size, then apply blobs of silicone when installing.

The VHB tape will hold it in place, while the silicone sets up. Hope this helps.
It’s been determined over the course of years of tests by members on this site that Lexel is far superior than a blob of silicone.

Precision

It’s been determined over the course of years of tests by members on this site that Lexel is far superior than a blob of silicone.
Just trying to help the guy with a suggestion. It's pvc - we weren't discussing best ever silicone or glue - but hey Johnny knows best.

3M tape would be my suggestion
Yeah, that will probably work, I just wanted it to sit flush against the fixture and not leave a gap, but we actually do have some thinner VHB tape that is closer to 1/32" thick. I'm probably overthinking it and will go with the VHB as long as it will still slide in behind that stainless piece.