• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need an "Uncopyrightable" file

Geary

I need to get ahold of a vector file of the Royal Canadian Air Cadets. This is not an illegal process since the image is military and cannot be copyrighted according to international law. Any help would be appreciated.

~Geary

Geary

Mine is about copying military insignias or identification. Could be a bit different. In fact, the way I read it, if one were to attempt to copyright a military image....they would be in trouble WAY more and WAY faster than the run-of-the-mill royalty free file battles that occur.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
An image of an F-16 is an image of a product designed by Lockheed Aircraft. As such it is copyrightable. Any official government artwork, at least in the US, is not copyrightable under the theory that we the people all own it.

That doesn't mean that if someone spends the time to create a vectored version of any public domain artwork, that he or she is not entitled to copyright protection for their work.

Whatever the case, it is not the purpose of Signs 101 to in any way facilitate the practice of file swapping. If someone is seeking a legal source for an image, it is totally acceptable to direct them to one if you know of one. It is totally unacceptable to volunteer to supply digital files to anyone through this forum. I don't care if you drew them yourself. The simple fact is that many of our peers do not have a clear understanding of copyright law and will jump in to supply copyrighted material to others for lots of misguided reasons. This then causes others to think it's a perfectly acceptable thing to do and all sorts of abuse follows.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Geary said:
So, Fred, let me get this straight........ if I digitized this uncopyrightable image from a bad fuzzy one I found on the internet....you're saying I could in fact copyright my work on it and then on top of that SELL it for profit?

By the way, this is what I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Aircadet.jpg

In most cases yes ... providing there is a demand for the work and you have a way to reach the market.

Geary

Well, in all reality, I'm doing vinyl graphics for this. It's to be shipped out for a sign with this image on it, plus lettering, for a new client of mine who is in Canada for a squadron headquarters that their sons are a part of.

And you'll vouch for me if I end up in court trying to copyright this......right?

~Gear

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I will vouch that I told you I am not an attorney and have no knowledge of public domain and intellectual property law as practiced in the Canadian Commonwealth. OTOH, I would advise you to ship the work and not set foot in Canada until you are certain no warrants have been issued for your arrest.

Geary

Can I ship the work via any "random" address I might choose, say from Lake Worth, FLA?

:Big Laugh :thumb: :thankyou: :U Rock:

toucan_graphics

Thank you for clarifying Fred. I was a bit fuzzy on the exact nature of my earlier infraction. My appologies for any misgivings on my part.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
toucan_graphics said:
Thank you for clarifying Fred. I was a bit fuzzy on the exact nature of my earlier infraction. My appologies for any misgivings on my part.

My purpose was to make my point and in so doing have the effect of reducing the problem. You obviously did not understand the perspective I view it from. Now you do. End of discussion.

Ken

Fred Weiss said:
I will vouch that I told you I am not an attorney and have no knowledge of public domain and intellectual property law as practiced in the Canadian Commonwealth. OTOH, I would advise you to ship the work and not set foot in Canada until you are certain no warrants have been issued for your arrest.

Fred..Canada is completely free and independent of the British Empire since Trudeau was prime Minister. I absolutely detest the name " British Columbia". We are not British and although the Columbia mountains run thru this province, we are not Columbian either. I'm starting a petition to change the name to Pacifica.
Royal Canadian "anything" is merely a holdover from days of yore...

Good laugh about the arrest warrants..lol
Ken

Geary

That's exactly right Ken. Even though the tradition of the Cadets are still firmly rooted and taught from the old RCAF format and is still named Royal Canadian Air Cadet school.....it has been called Canadian Forces Air Command since the mid seventies (or so I'm told). But thank goodness tradition and heritage of these good services has not been bannished altogether in our countries. Those are very proud things that should never be forgotten in our respective nations.

At any rate, continuing on here....if anybody can find a direction for me in locating this file it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Geary

Goran

Double check and see if you're even allowed to reproduce that military logo in any way...not to mention copywrigt it.

here are their official websites:

http://www.aircadetleague.com/
http://www.aircadet.com/

Government website with a list of all Air Cadet squadrons:
http://www.cadets.net/pac/articles/contact_local_e.asp#air

All you have to do is trace and pray... :biggrin:

:Canada: :Canada: :Canada: :Canada: :Canada: :Canada: :Canada: :Canada: :Canada: :Canada: :Canada: :Canada: :Canada: :Canada: :Canada: :Canada:

Last edited:

Geary

Goran et al,

Upon further examination I find this insignia, like all military emblems, is in "Public Domain" . Therefore, it cannot be copyrighted.

The encyclopedia says this about Public Domain:

"Public domain comprises the body of knowledge and innovation (especially creative works such as writing, art, music, and inventions) in relation to which no person or other legal entity can establish or maintain proprietary interests within a particular legal jurisdiction. This body of information and creativity is considered to be part of a common cultural and intellectual heritage, which, in general, anyone may use or exploit, whether for commercial or non-commercial purposes."

So, from this I'm getting the general sense that in this particular context, and very much unlike regular "clipart discussions", I may legally acquire and use the aforementioned image in any way or form.

~Gear

Geary

Thanks ML, most of the emblem is in one of them.... but there's more to it for the cadet version of the image.

~Gear

Ps......oh, look...........it's my 1000th post. Yay!

andy

Ken- let's chill with the Anti British attitude mate- I'm sure Harriers of the Royal Air Force aren't "detested" when they are giving your boys covering fire in Afghanistan.