• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help ASAP

APIM

Hey guys... We usually don't do installation so I am not sure how to quote this. I have a customer that wants us to apply 3 Graphics (That we are printing and laminating) to the sides of a bus. 2 of them are 3' x 1.5' and the other is 3' x 5'... Any suggestions on how I should quote for installation? THANKS!

WrapperX

Estimate how long it will take you and decide on an hourly rate and do the math...

Is this rocket science or sign installation?

WrapperX

Ok well then lets think about this. What part of a bus do they want it applied to? Is it flat? What sort of vinyl will you be printing it on? A vehicle vinyl with air egress or just a straight calandered vinyl?

Assuming the body areas where the vinyl was to go arrived in good condition and at least "machine washed" and ready for my alcohol wipe down - Something of that nature/size printed on any vinyl that has Air release - Calendered or Cast wouldn't really matter- for me would probably take no more then an hour and a half. Now I also have quite a few installations under my belt so I'm experienced and unafraid of most installations. For you - without ever doing an installation I would estimate 3 hours of install just so that you are covered. Then you can track your time and decide after the fact how much you want to charge. So if you estimate 3 hours and it takes you 1 hour you could theoretically charge for 2 hours and still be under your original bid. I WOULDN'T however give them a promised FLAT rate. Choose an hourly rate and tell them it will be *about this much*

Honestly though - decals of this size applied to a flat area on a vehilce is practically the same as applying vinly to a flat sign substrate. Just make sure its very clean and the surface is in the right condition to recieve vinyl. If you have to do it outdoorrs try and set up a wind break and apply in the shade - not in direct sunlight as this will make your surface VERY hot and will cause the vinyl to stick quicker and stretch out of shape more easily. You also might want to think about using Rapid Tac or some sort of wet application technique since you are still cherry at this.

WrapperX

Outsource it. Seriously way easier if you just find a local installer and contract it out.

There is always this option

I'm available for sub contract but you probably wouldn't want to pay for my travel for a 2 hour job :ROFLMAO:

CanuckSigns

Outsource it. Seriously way easier if you just find a local installer and contract it out.

You gotta learn sometime and this sounds like a good job to learn with! if you mess it up it's not much material to reprint and try again. after you have finished it you will start to build your confidence in your abilities!

:rock-n-roll::thumb:

as for pricing the job, why not price it by the hour with a "not to exceed" clause, so if your hourly rate is $70, and you think it will take no more than 3 hours, quote them:
$70 per hour, not to exceed $210

that way if you are done in 2 hours you bill accordingly, but if you run into trouble, you can call your customer and work something out.

WrapperX

I highly advise doing it yourself just as Watson says - you'll learn from it and you gotta start somewhere right?