• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help figuring out a specific part number to order for Roland VS-640i printer and cutter

Mylittlecorgi

Hello Everyone!

I'm excited to be here! I've been servicing and running the Roland printer for about 2 years now. I've learned a lot from trial and error and also from the help of our wonderful local Roland Technician. We've been lucky to not have any major breakdowns or anything. But we just had the tech come out last weekend to fix a cracked feed roller. He came out and everything is fine, but now the media holder is not wanting to screw down tight so that it doesn't shift around. I can literally see the faulty part and feel confident I can swap out the stripped piece for a new one, but I am having a hard time finding the part number for the little piece in the media holder that the thumb screw actually screws into. I'm open to buying a new right side Media Holder or a new assembly for it, but I would love some direction on where to find the part I need.

Thanks in advance! Nice to meet everyone!

jwlllpl

1623082433224.png

Media Holder Thumb Screw​

Stock# US-thumbscrew
$2.95

Media Flange​

The flange guide is used to hold media on the feed roller up to 110 lb. (50 kg) on a standard 3" core. This part is compatible with all roll-to-roll Roland inkjet printers and GX-24 and GX Pro Series vinyl cutters. Sold as a single unit but two units are needed to support a roll of media.
Stock# 1000003083
$36.20 each

Attachments

• 1623082389710.png
    1623082389710.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 100

jwlllpl

The Thumbscrew does not seem to have a part number that I could find. Think it may be a universal part.

Mylittlecorgi

Here are some pictures of the affected area for reference. You can see where the thumb screw screws into and then it hits the bar itself. The pressure from the screw keeps the media holder in place during printing, but the little metal clip the thumb screws screw into seems to be stripped or something. (Sorry to repeat, I feel as if I didn't explain myself properly the first time). Is there a replacement for this part, and if so where can I find it? Alternatively, where can I find this type of media holder as a replacement? The place we normally order from makes will want to send the tech out and charge us for an hour of labor when I'm pretty confident I can have this replaced and fixed in less than an hour. Just need to know where to get the part lol

Attachments

• Media Holder Thumb Screw Slot 2.jpg
    Media Holder Thumb Screw Slot 2.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 80
  • Media Holder Thumb Screw Slot.jpg
    Media Holder Thumb Screw Slot.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Media Holder.jpg
    Media Holder.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Thumb Screw.jpg
    Thumb Screw.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 89

Joe House

Ask for part number US-Thumbscrew - Roland America sourced a screw with stronger steel to prevent them from stripping out as easily as the originals from Japan did.

Good Luck

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Go to the hardware store and get a 1/4" winged thumb screw and a square nut.
Tools needed: vice grips and a grinder.
Put square nut in vice grips half way and grind it down until it fits into the slot that holds it into place on the media holder.
Mine striped out two years ago and I fixed it for $1.75
I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Go to the hardware store and get a 1/4" winged thumb screw and a square nut.
Tools needed: vice grips and a grinder.
Put square nut in vice grips half way and grind it down until it fits into the slot that holds it into place on the media holder.
Mine striped out two years ago and I fixed it for $1.75
I'll post a picture tomorrow

Attachments

• 20210608_080457.jpg
    20210608_080457.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • 20210608_080524.jpg
    20210608_080524.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • 20210608_081011.jpg
    20210608_081011.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 95

Mylittlecorgi

Solved!

You guys are ingenious. Thanks so much for the help! I ended up just buying two replacement Thumb Screws as a hail mary and it actually solved the problem. I guess my old Thumb Screws were just stripped enough that they couldn't catch anymore.

But I'll keep this in mind, the square nut must have been the part I was referring to, but didn't know what to call it.

Thanks again!