• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Need help finding jobs to bid

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
nothing personal, but, there are other sign shops.
the only way for you to be the only one bidding would be to have a signs101 reunion and poison the dinner

i am sure you have a successful business, but, you can't have that big a following
I have more than enough work. I give quick bids, but if I know you are bidding it out, I just pass. I'm not the cheapest

pro-up

Do you spend all your time bidding or actually win the project?

When someone wants me to bid, I'm usually turned off. Not a way to get Tex in bed when I have to compete with others... I want to be the only one they want.
Hello, missed this reply! It is purely a numbers game. The more you bid, the more you will win. I would say the results really vary because there is no way to figure out what magic number will get you the bid.

One thing that really helps (IMO) is asking questions. This let's the GC know you are interested, go to pre-bid meetings when possible, and get in front of the people running the bid. That's exactly how we won several projects. The largest was a garage project. I attended a meet and greet for subs, met the VP of the GC company. When it was time to bid, they chose us and I strongly believe it was the networking that helped. It also greatly helps that I have custom software speeding up the process. We are data driven, so it's just a numbers game. More bids equal an increased likelihood of winning.

I agree, when people come to you that is the easier and preferrable way to go. Winning bids is one way for this to happen. You do a good job on the project, the GC reaches out directly for multiple projects. They don't want to keep searching for companies. If they know you will perform, they keep coming back and referring projects. The typical win ratio can be 30% - 40%.

pro-up

many clients have guidelines to follow, where 3 bids are mandatory before approving the project.

i can't tell you how many times a client has accidently" left a folder with the other bids on the conference table, though
GCs are really bad about this. We have seen so many projects taken from one sign company and passed to another. They have no regard for sign companies. This is why I strongly recommend not to give them any free work. They will take everything, promise to give the project, then ghost people or just switch companies for cheaper pricing.

Aaron Hunter

Only thing I would add to pro-up's advice is:
-Make sure if the project is prevailing wage or not.
-Look up you local Business License Applications.
-Visit your local Union's Apprentice Programs. They will usually have a running list of current and upcoming projects and the GC's that are working on them.