• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help replacing neon sign transformer

bongomundo

As long as this is going in your home, play around with it, til ya zap yourself or someone in your family, but when working as a professional out in the field, LEARN FROM THIS GUY. don't f*ck around with stuff you don't know anything about. Get a professional to do it.
Lol, I made a Jacob's ladder out of a big old transformer when I was in grammar school, I think I'll probably be okay.

Todd Jelle

Well I tried the new transformer and it lights about half the sign up. :( guess I’ll look for a 5k
I know this thread is old, but even a transformer without enough power ( overloading the transformer) will light a small neon sign.
If it's only lighting half the sign, it likely a bad neon unit or bad electrode. You will need to make a pattern & have a neon shop repair or replace the unit.
Even a hairline crack will allow the gas to escape & the circuit will not be complete.
If your working on neon you need a neon/ florescent lamp tester. It allows you to test light the individual neon units ( tubes) just by touching them.
There are some very inexpensive ones available.
Under loading a transformer is when the transformer is to large for the load. not as bad as overloading the transformer.