• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help replacing neon sign transformer

sideburn

Hey all,

I don't know much about how neon signs work, and I dopant want to over volt it or burn it up somehow so I was hoping someone can confirm with me that a transformer I found will work.

The one that came with the sign and is faulty (keeps cutting on and off) shows that it is and EverBrite:

Input - 120v 60hz 115W.
Output - 4.5-0-4.5kv 30ma

The one I found on amazon has the following specs:

Input: 100-240 VAC 50/60Hz 5-25W
Output: 3kV 30mA;

When the sign was working, I measured the voltage by connecting a high voltage prop to the wires on the sign and was reading what appeared to be 2,200kv.

I have a pretty good grasp on electronics but my first thought is the only way to burn out a neon sign would be to give it too many KV right?
I read something about tit being about the current though... ? ...

So I assume this new (cheap chinese) transformer will work ok?

Thanks for any info,

-Tavis

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Hey all,

I don't know much about how neon signs work, and I dopant want to over volt it or burn it up somehow so I was hoping someone can confirm with me that a transformer I found will work.

The one that came with the sign and is faulty (keeps button on and off) shows that it is and EverBrite:

Input - 120v 60hz 115W.

When the sign was working, I measured the voltage by connecting a high voltage prop to the wires on the sign and was reading what appeared to be 2,200kv.

I have a pretty good grasp on electronics but my first thought is the only way to burn out a neon sign would be to give it too many KV right?

Thanks for any info,

-Tavis
Don't you need a license to work on electric signs?

sideburn

Don't you need a license to work on electric signs?
No it is a vintage OPEN sign I bought off of a private party and its going in my workshop at home... it was working ok but it is intermittently cutting off and on... he said it has issues and probably needs a new transformer.

Todd Jelle

You actually should measure the total tube length then add 1 ft per pair set of electrodes. Use a neon chart to see if your transformer is within range for your total footage of tube.
or....vintex & other mfg make transformers that self adjust for the load, but many also have a limit to the load range. I think the transformer you show would likely do the job (if it is the original trans). As a rule you are better to under load the trans as opposed to over loading it. If someone else bought a transformer to replace the original & it is to small , that could cause the issues your having. Again.... best to calculate to neon load to be safe.

Neon load chart

sideburn

You actually should measure the total tube length then add 1 ft per pair set of electrodes. Use a neon chart to see if your transformer is within range for your total footage of tube.
or....vintex & other mfg make transformers that self adjust for the load, but many also have a limit to the load range. I think the transformer you show would likely do the job (if it is the original trans). As a rule you are better to under load the trans as opposed to over loading it. If someone else bought a transformer to replace the original & it is to small , that could cause the issues your having. Again.... best to calculate to neon load to be safe.

Neon load chart
I Know the one that’s on there now is the original. And it says 4.5kv I think ? Not sure what the -0- means in “4.5-0-4.5kv”. But when the sign was on and working I measured 2.2kv off the wires connected to the tube. It’s a single run tube with one transformer.

The new one that will be arriving tomorrow claims 3kv. But it’s cheap:

HB-C02TE 3KV Power Supply for Glass Neon Sign Light Electronic Neon Signs Lights Transformer with Black Plug https://a.co/d/f8t9lrh

sideburn

Well like I mentioned, I measured 2.2kv with the sign lit so I’m hoping 3kv will work. I’ll have to see. It should arrive today…

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

The one that came with the sign and is faulty (keeps cutting on and off) shows that it is and EverBrite:

Input - 120v 60hz 115W.

Thanks for any info,

-Tavis
If I am reading your specs correctly, the first item is producing much higher voltage but is CENTER TAPPED

it does not appear to be a good replacement to me

Ginnyhoang1308

If you're using traditional neon tube sign, I recommend that you may try this led neon sign like the product on this website pageneon.com

It will be much easier to install and fix. And much cheaper I think.

ProSignTN

As a 30 yr vet, I've never hear the term Center Tapped. There are two ways to wire a neon tube. Every hanging window sign, or beer sign, etc. I've ever seen has been wired with no ground. The transformer leads are attached to each end of the tubing. GTO cable (rated at 15kv) is used and each piece of tubing is also connected with GTO cable. So, a complete circuit. Each end of a traditional coil and core transformer will produce half of what the transformer is listed as (15kv - 7.5 kv each lead, 10kv - 5kv each lead). This is the preferred method as it allows the current to flow through the neon from a shorter length than the other method. The other method, known as Mid Point Ground, is used for applications such as strip lighting on a building front. For MPG you set the transformer in the center of the tubing and wire each half to one lead of the transformer, while grounding the end farthest from the transformer. This method saves the energy required to 'push' power through the GTO for long returns.

Medina Signs

Old Member
Like was earlier posted - Buy a self adjusting (indoor) xformer - Sleeveless GTO #16 awg, 15kV and 36” long. Ground fault and open circuit protection. Overload detection. Indoor High Light Output, Self-Adjusting Voltage.

SS1235ICH ALLANSON PLASTI-PAK INDOOR​

Available at N Glantz